Sturmey archer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulwho100

There I have just finished restoring a Raleigh chopper but gear 1 is not working does any know why??

You might get some good pointers here http://hadland.wordpress.com/
I've not had a detailed read, as I stumbled across Hadlandsblog accidentally and have not yet had the need to overhaul a Sturmey Archer hub. Although I know that they can frustrate both the professional and old skool tinkerer.
Good luck, got any pictures? As I seem to remember the Chopper being much cooler than the Grifter that I had, although I think it also had some sort of S.A. hub arrangement.

sidevalve

Über Member
Not many choices here, assuming the "gear lever" works and moves the cable and you've got it adjusted right then the only thing is to strip the hub. Don't be too worried about it they arn't all that complicated [well ok they are a bit, take your time] just fiddley. Any serious faults will be clear enough.

Teuchter

Über Member
Did it start doing this after the hub was stripped and reassembled?

Obvious thing to check is indicator chain adjustment. Will it select 1st if you disconnect the chain from the shifter cable and pull it all the way out (while turning the pedals backwards)?

I've stripped, cleaned and rebuilt a couple of SA hubs. There isn't much to get wrong as long as you're systematic in taking it apart and getting it all back together in the same order. You should be able to find diagrams or photos online to help you check this. One thing that springs to mind is that I don't think the pawls are exactly symmetrical so could possibly go in the wrong way round - don't know if doing this would cause issues engaging 1st. Hardest part of the job is fitting those bloody pawl springs by the way!

If all else fails, a used hub off eBay is normally pretty cheap and you can just swap out the internals quite easily.

OP
OP
Paulwho100

Paulwho100

No it's never worked since i got my Raleigh chopper and when I put the bike upside down and disconnected the cable and just pull the chain toggle the first 2 gears work but it's like gear one isn't there

bobg

Über Member
There are different lengths of toggle chains and their associated rods. I made the same mistake and reconnected my SA AW hub using one from my stock of bits rather than the one that came off it and had the same problem which was remedied when I put the proper one back. Maybe a previous owner made the same mistake?

Top Bottom