Suggestions for ladies city bike hub gear + 28" dynamo wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I'm feeling a gap in my bike shed for something with full size wheels, swept back bars, hub gears, dynamo lighting and a step through frame. It'd be a weekend bike for 2-5 mile trips round North London, so not too heavy to get up hills. Very similar to a Dutch bike really, but with added hill-abilty (We hired bikes in Amsterdam and they were very lovely to ride, but even the bridges over the canals were a bit hard to get up)

My instinct is to get an old mixte or ladies road bike from ebay that takes 700c wheels, a hub + dynamo wheelset from Rose.de and build it up myself. I'd get mostly I want, and I prefer to reuse rather than buy new. The downsides are that would leave me stuck with caliper brakes - not a disaster but the idea of this is to be an easy-riding bike so v-brakes or even discs would be nice. Plus there aren't that many frames small enough for me that take 700c wheels so I'm either going to be paying c£100 in London or trekking out on the train to collect it. And, of course, it's going to be a few weeks at least before I've got it ready to ride.

The other option is to get a new bike via the cycle to work scheme that has everything I want already, but I've done a bit of googling and nothing leaps out. The modern City/comfort bikes don't seem to run to expensive components like hub gears, while the Pashleys and Dawes tend to have 26" wheels. They all look very heavy.

Is anyone aware of any new bikes that would fit the bill? I'm 5"1' so looking for nothing bigger than a 19" frame.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Can't help on the frame BB but I'm moving my 3 speed hub gear to my main commuter and turning the 3 speed into a fixed/SS, just waiting for the fixed/SS wheel. So I will have the 9 speed, SRAM IMotion9, rear wheel up for sale. I did previously have this up for sale at £250, a search on here will show you all the details, but am now resinged to a more cutting my own throat realistic price, say £180 shipped or £160 collected. The hub is built into a Mavic A719 rim black, 36 silver spokes and is in excellent condition, hub having had new internals from SRAM in Germany. It can accomodate rim or disc brakes, standard 6 bolt rotor mounting and is 135mm OLD. It comes with the standard twist shifter, SRAM don't offer any other shifting options for their hub gears.

Let me know if you're interested, but obviously it may be best to source the frame first, afraid my frames are all too big.

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Thanks MacB, but to be honest that's about the same price as the new 8 speed hub wheel I was looking at, so I probably won't go for it. I'll check out the various specs and let you know if I change my mind, but for now just assume it's a no.

If I hear of anyone else looking I'll point them in your direction :smile:

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Oh look I found one!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48570

48570.jpg

Very pretty :smile:

But I've already bought an old frame and ordered the wheelset. I think my build will end up about half the price (but not as pretty)

PeterD

Hi Brokenbetty
We have just launched our Italian handmade range of Bella Ciao classic city bikes that might interest you. The ladies step through Corvo Citta Donna is lighter than the Pashley, Creme or other Dutch style bikes. They come with an internal 3 speed hub and I'm sure we can sort out lights for you.

Attachments

• DSCF0964a reduced.jpg
    DSCF0964a reduced.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 90

jimboalee

Hi Brokenbetty
We have just launched our Italian handmade range of Bella Ciao classic city bikes that might interest you. The ladies step through Corvo Citta Donna is lighter than the Pashley, Creme or other Dutch style bikes. They come with an internal 3 speed hub and I'm sure we can sort out lights for you.

Looks a bit over geared for a lady. Typical.

PeterD

For city rides its fine. We also do 7 and 8 speed versions. I did not realise Brokenbetty needed a hill climber.. sorry

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
For city rides its fine. We also do 7 and 8 speed versions. I did not realise Brokenbetty needed a hill climber.. sorry

Oh what a shame, with the 8-speed hub it was exactly what I was looking for but I've already gone ahead and built my own. Maybe next time.

Incidentally, have you thought about offering jtek shifters as an option as well as twist grip ones? I used one only because the twist grip wouldn't fit, but found I really like it - it's a much smaller movement to push the shifter with the heel of my hand or push it up with my thumb than to than twist a grip. Looks better too :smile:

Oh look I found one!

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=48570

48570.jpg

Very pretty :smile:

But I've already bought an old frame and ordered the wheelset. I think my build will end up about half the price (but not as pretty)

I almost wish I hadn't seen that - it's purple, mixte and hub geared; pretty much my perfect commuting/city bike! At that price I'd be paranoid about leaving it anywhere though   :rolleyes:    - your idea of building one up using an older frame sounds much more sensible! 

PeterD

Oh what a shame, with the 8-speed hub it was exactly what I was looking for but I've already gone ahead and built my own. Maybe next time.

Incidentally, have you thought about offering jtek shifters as an option as well as twist grip ones? I used one only because the twist grip wouldn't fit, but found I really like it - it's a much smaller movement to push the shifter with the heel of my hand or push it up with my thumb than to than twist a grip. Looks better too :smile:

Hi -- thanks for the suggestion re jtek shifters - will certainly look into this. Good luck with your new bike.

Top Bottom