Summer/Racing Cassette - Ultegra or 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

I am looking to purchase a cassette for my new race/summer wheels (cheers chris) and cannot decide which cassette to go for. The cassette will be running along side a dura ace 9 speed chain, with tiagra shifters/rear mech. Is ultegra worth the fifteen quid extra over the 105 cassette?

Cheers
Steve

kyuss

Veteran
9spd, I'd buy neither and get a SRAM one. Their 10spd cassettes are pretty pricey but the 9spd ones are a decent price and I've found them to be a bit more durable than Shimano.

Chrisz

Über Member
Young-un.

Hold fire, I think I have an Ultegra cassette in the shed - almost new (as in hardly ridden) - gimme 10 minutes and I'll pop out and count the teeth/cogs ;)

Chrisz

Über Member
Just checked - it's a 9sp, 6500 (can't remember if that's Ulteg or Dura - first 3 cogs are on an alloy carrier, next two are paired, then the remaining ones are seperate) Hyperglide, 12 - 23 ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Shimano cassettes shift better than sram cassettes ime

All the cassettes across the shimano range shift the same and the only difference between any of them (apart from some ratios) is weight.
Get the best one you can afford. But don't expect Ultegra to be noticeably better than 105 as you can't tell the difference between cassettes unless you put them on scales ;)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Chrisz said:
Just checked - it's a 9sp, 6500 (can't remember if that's Ulteg or Dura - first 3 cogs are on an alloy carrier, next two are paired, then the remaining ones are seperate) Hyperglide, 12 - 23 ;)

pm sent;)

Top Bottom