Sun protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annirak

Veteran
I've been told that I really need to be using some form of sun protection all the time while cycling in daylight, cloudy or not. I find sun screen quite time consuming to apply, particularly arms & legs, probably due to the hair. I'm looking for alternatives. I've seen UV protection sleeves, but nothing equivalent for legs. I think those are probably the right answer for me, but I don't know what I'm looking for in UV sleeves. I know that in summer, I need something breathable.
What should I look for in cycling-specific UV protection clothing?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would have thought normal light weight cycling tights would be fine, coupled with summer weight long sleeves. TBH I ride the road bike in bib tights even in summer and on longer rides will use a LS top for sun protection.

GuyBoden

Guru
large.jpg

Is this advise due to a apecific problem (sorry - not trying to pry but it makes a difference) or just due to skin type and sun levels?

Also - I presume your location (South UK) is accurate??

Also coming into the equation - how long do you spend cycling per day - and at what time?

I mean - if you have dark skin and only ride a hour a day before sun up - then this is totally different than if you ride 4 hours a day around noon and have fair skin

Personally I have that type of skin that doesn;t tan but just goes red - not burns - just goes red
which is apparently the worst kind to have in terms of sun damage

but I have ridden all summer - 2 hours a day several times a week - for thelast few years and when I have asked the doctor about skin worries her only worry dry skin - sun damage that I had one year on my back went away while my arms and legs actually tanned (over about 3 years!) for the first time ever

The main danger from the sun is a major burn event caused by sudden exposure on a summer Med holiday beach.
Regular exposure to UK sun is much less of a danger. The various cancer awareness charities note that cancer has increased in the UK but dont ascribe any of the increase to non-UK exposure.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've been told that I really need to be using some form of sun protection all the time while cycling in daylight, cloudy or not. I find sun screen quite time consuming to apply, particularly arms & legs, probably due to the hair. I'm looking for alternatives. I've seen UV protection sleeves, but nothing equivalent for legs. I think those are probably the right answer for me, but I don't know what I'm looking for in UV sleeves. I know that in summer, I need something breathable.
What should I look for in cycling-specific UV protection clothing?

I have these for extended periods cycling in the sun

https://www.q36-5.com/shop/men/warmers/sunair-leg-covers/

iluvmybike

Über Member
You can burn through cycling clothing - speaking from experience. You can buy some kit that has UV protection built in but not sure where. Everyone should use sun protection if they care about their skin. The fairer your skin the more so but every one - even those with dark skin can get problems. The number of people in the UK being diagnosed with skin cancer has hit a record high with a sharp rise among over-55s according to Cancer Research UK. Whilst you might consider the risk of getting skin cancer low skin that gets a lot of exposure to the sun ages more quickly and gets very wrinkly

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
Is this advise due to a apecific problem (sorry - not trying to pry but it makes a difference) or just due to skin type and sun levels?

Also - I presume your location (South UK) is accurate??

Also coming into the equation - how long do you spend cycling per day - and at what time?

I mean - if you have dark skin and only ride a hour a day before sun up - then this is totally different than if you ride 4 hours a day around noon and have fair skin

I recently spoke to a dermatology Nurse Practitioner about something related. Her main concern was lifetime sun exposure. My location is approximately correct. I spend about 2h cycling per day, once from 0730-0830 and once from 1700 to 1800, with some variability. Whether this is in daylight or dark depends heavily on the time of year.

My skin both tans and freckles, but I also have developed quite a few moles. I rarely burn. I didn't burn all summer with that routine. I used suncream during the sunniest two weeks of the summer.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'm cautious with sun around the middle of the day but have never felt a need to cover up or wear sunblock at commuting times of day.

presta

Guru
If you've been advised that you need particular protection I would have thought that whoever told you would be in the best position to recommend solutions.

Isn't that one of the ones that you have to apply an hour or two before going out into the sun?

I have some high factor water/sweat proof Nivea, and it's a b*gger to wash the greasy film off. The big issue I have with sun cream is that once you've got it on, it makes a mess of everything you touch until you are in a position to wash it off again.

Top Bottom