Sunday AM nr Harpenden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
I would like to do 2hr/50k or so run on Sunday ending in Harpenden at 1230ish. Starting point any BR station.

This is new territory for me on two wheels so I would appreciate
  • tips re do's and don'ts
  • suggested routes/spots to pass through/stop - Ayot St Lawrence being obvious - gbs - gedditt!
  • any offers of guidance

Flying Dodo might have a view on this Geoffrey - as he's a Luton man, and also stevevw / Cayopro etc - both pretty knowledgeable on the Stevenage side.

Pilgrimage eh? :smile: (I did a sort of similar 'pay homage' thing to Henry Moore one time, deliberately aiming for Much Hadham en route to somewhere adjacent.
If you are going route one out of town, the A5 has improved a bit from the awful state it was in during Winter. A bit.

If you want to get bored out of your skull, with all the stop-starting due to umpteen traffic lights, potholes, people wandering around the middle of the road wearing nighties, numpty taxi drivers left hooking you, and a dense stink of cheap cooking oil from all of the fast food joints filling your nostrils, then set off from Marble Arch and just head straight up the A5, cut through St Albans, up the A1081 and 2 hours later, you're in Harpenden.

But what will you have achieved apart from a vague nasty taste in your mouth from all the car fumes, and possibly one of Davy's reject kebabs stuck to one of your tyres?

Lots of other options - here's two:-

If you head out from Enfield Station for example, then you can route through some lovely countryside north passing between Hertford & Welwyn Garden City, then turn west to go through Old Welwyn or Knebworth, through Ayot St Lawrence and then Harpenden.

Alternatively hop on a train to Mill Hill, back roads through Borehamwood, across to Hemel Hempstead, Redbourn, Wheathamsptead, Ayot St. Lawrence, and then back to Harpenden.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
This is my cunning plan - until you more experienced folk offer an alternative.
  1. train to Elstree - the limit of my old boy's Freedom Pass
  2. B5378 to St Albans and inspect the rather handsome cathedral
  3. onto Wheathampstead and then to Ayot St L and, as Aperitif quickly sussed, pay homage to the great man
  4. then W'ly to Sauncey Wood Lane
  5. cross the River Lea by the ford
  6. onto my sister-in -law for birthday lunch in Harpenden
I will have offprints of OS maps so a little adlibbing may happen. Does any one know about the Roman Road which runs NE from a point 0.5 k N of Sandridge towards Ayot Green ?.

If you want to get bored out of your skull, with all the stop-starting due to umpteen traffic lights, potholes, people wandering around the middle of the road wearing nighties, numpty taxi drivers left hooking you, and a dense stink of cheap cooking oil from all of the fast food joints filling your nostrils,

How very dare you - that's my commute!
The fragrant nuzzle of shishka pipes, the plethora of Eastern aromas that help one on one's way Northerly... soon displaced by the car-panel thumping bass and whiff of ganja... the scent of the Lebanon replaced by the finest Lebanese... ahhh deep breaths - it's life, it's London! :smile:

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
FD/Adam, thanks, I will investigate. Curiously the Freedom Pass map does not show the line to Mill Hill Broadway as available. I will enquire when next at Liv St.

Does any one know about the Roman Road which runs NE from a point 0.5 k N of Sandridge towards Ayot Green ?.

If you're talking about Coleman Green lane, it's not too bad, very narrow in places. At the end you turn right then imm left along Waterend lane, this is also very narrow and twisty, there a two climbs which are around 12-15%(maybe a little more). The main problem with this lane is the amount of Loose stones and silt all over the road.

Don't know about the Roman road, but there's Devil's Dyke in Wheathampstead.

My route would be carry on towards Wheathampstead and take the right fork just before the Wicked lady pub. When you reach the end of this lane go straight across into Sheepcote lane which turns into a hardpack track. I ride this regularly on the trike and road bike. When you reach tarmac again, turn right and after 150ish yards left into Bride hall lane which takes you to Shaws Corner.

Have a good one............ John

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
John, thanks for yr comment re Roman Road (CGL); since I will probably ride the c/f stealth machine with skinny tyres for only the second time this year that will not be the route for me - I would not wish to spoil the shininess with all that nasty mud/silt.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
ride report: with my son Tim who has sneaked away from med school for a long weekend; v pleasant rolling terrain passing through attractive villages such as Wheathampstead; poorish quality roads save for one strip of new tarmac where we could safely hit 55kph - that is fast by my standards; entry to the GBS house at Ayot St Lawrence is half-price for cyclists.

I would be happy to participate in a CC ride in that area.

ride report: with my son Tim who has sneaked away from med school for a long weekend; v pleasant rolling terrain passing through attractive villages such as Wheathampstead; poorish quality roads save for one strip of new tarmac where we could safely hit 55kph - that is fast by my standards; entry to the GBS house at Ayot St Lawrence is half-price for cyclists.

I would be happy to participate in a CC ride in that area.

Think of all the money you have saved every time you walk in at Fulham, Geoffrey!
A lazy Summer dawdle around there would be an idea...

HI

I live in North London, Elstree station is about a 30 minute ride for me...

If you ever want a companion, please let me know..

As I am an active member of the TA I will not ba able to ride every sunday but still drop me a pm if interested

Adrian

sheddy

Legendary Member
Not sure of distance but if you are happy with footpaths and bridleways -

start Welwyn Garden City station, across town to Library, through Sherrardspark Wood (good surface) then 1/2 mile on road through Ayot Green, pick up Ayot Green Way (hard surface) to Wheathampsted, Lea valley Walk footpath to Harpenden (that an unknown surface to me)

Sorry, I thought you were running

Top Bottom