super hilly area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

Whatever gear you choose, fit 2 brakes, there is no (safe) way of going down your hills without!!!!

+1.

I can be a fairly brain-out cyclist at times, but living in a very hilly area there is no way I have the nerve to ride fixed with only a front brake.

Dan_h

There is no reason the terrain should stop you from building a single speed. Mine is geared around 68" and I can get up most hills. There are plenty of accounts on the net of people doing everything from touring to Paris-Brest-Paris to the Great Divide race on fixed or single speed bikes.

Before I tried it I did think that I would really struggle and would need a gear that would be about the lowest one I regularly used, but when I tried it I learned that I was clearly under gearing my bike for most climbs. I was also a few minutes faster over the 13 miles that I commute each way simply because I was quicker up the hills!

This is my guilty secret, I use gears in your part of the world which we visit every year. This particular hill is just down the coast from Bude. Absolutely no way I could get up this on fixed, even if I ran a low enough gear going down those hills just wouldn't be feasible. If you stay away from the coast and select your route with care I would say it's doable on around 65" but as others have said you will need 2 brakes and maybe an anchor
biggrin.gif

2011003.jpg

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Of course you can get up a 30% hill with a fixed, you get off and push! HTFU Dude!!
wink.gif

Exactly! It's a push bike!

One thing I discovered when planning routes is that OS maps aren't always much use when trying to identify steep hills. I was defeated on the final bend on the Southerly ascent of Fleet Moss by a very short stretch which felt much steeper than a single chevron. I think the difference between the average gradient over say 100 yards and shorter stretches can be very high. There can also be a very big difference between the inside and the outside of a bend.

Top Bottom