Super Record gears - indexable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have an old Super Record rear mech, currently operated by down tube friction shifters. I have a feeling I know what the answer to this is going to be, but might it be possible to use them with campagnolo brake/gear shifters?

Does it have a 'slant parallelogram'?

MartinC

Über Member
I don't know for sure but I'd guess not. I once tried to get a 7 speed indexed Athena mech (c. 1991) to work with 8 speed ergos (7 and 8 speed cassette spacing's the same) and the indexingt wasn't good enough to use.

Rob S

The Super Record rear mech was able to be indexed using the original Syncro and Syncro 2 levers for a selection of 6 and 7 speed freewheels including the Regina America, Suntour Winner, Shimano 105 and Dura Ace...the Sedis Sport and Regina CX-S chains were recommended.
The Super Record mech needed the same ratchets (a total of three 6spd and four 7spd ratchets were needed to cover all their mech's different geometries) as the C-Record, Victory and Croce d'Aune (long caged version) mechs.
Several years ago (on my retro special) I used my C-Record mech with Synchro 2 lever, with Campag alloy freewheel, Sachs chain and a top jockey wheel with top float and loved it...it worked really well.

I tried the C-Record mech with a wheel using a 7 speed cassette (same spacing as an 8) with 7-8 speed Ergos and sadly it didn't work very well....a real shame as I really wanted to use that mech.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I haven't the slightest idea whether it has 'slant parallelogram' (or what that means) but I suspect strongly that the bottom line from these responses is. basically, what I expected - ie, no. Thanks for responding though.

Rob S said:
The Super Record rear mech was able to be indexed using the original Syncro and Syncro 2 levers for a selection of 6 and 7 speed freewheels including the Regina America, Suntour Winner, Shimano 105 and Dura Ace...the Sedis Sport and Regina CX-S chains were recommended.
The Super Record mech needed the same ratchets (a total of three 6spd and four 7spd ratchets were needed to cover all their mech's different geometries) as the C-Record, Victory and Croce d'Aune (long caged version) mechs.
Several years ago (on my retro special) I used my C-Record mech with Synchro 2 lever, with Campag alloy freewheel, Sachs chain and a top jockey wheel with top float and loved it...it worked really well.

I tried the C-Record mech with a wheel using a 7 speed cassette (same spacing as an 8) with 7-8 speed Ergos and sadly it didn't work very well....a real shame as I really wanted to use that mech.

Wow. Nuff respec rude boy. You are the Campaguru.

Top Bottom