Surprised, amazed even

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lochen

I did my first ten miles shakedown ride on Friday. The bike was kind of alright and I'm not used to it at all yet. It felt a little uncomfortable. I remember shuffling around on the seat a fair bit and trying to find a comfy position on the bar tops.

Today I've made some very small adjustments. I flipped the stem, put the last remaining spacer under the stem, tilted the bars around 5º and moved the seat back 5mm.

When I rode the bike, I was instantly more comfortable. My bum hit the saddle in exactly the right spot and stayed there, the slightly more upright position was better.

I'm still reaching too far and think I now need a shorter stem. Being such a large frame, it's got a long enough stem for an ape.

I'm surprised and amazed at the difference small adjustments have made.

We're going for a 'fit' early next year. The bike shop I bought my new helmet in yesterday is having some work done and the fitting room is closed until after Christmas.

screenman

Legendary Member
How about a side on of you sitting on it now. Also have you rotated the bars slightly as this bings the hoods closer to you, something that for many people make riding on them far more comfortable.

OP
OP
L

Lochen

That's what I meant. Rotated :okay:

I'll get a photo tomorrow. That would be useful thanks. Any particular pedal position?

mk6golf

I did my first ten miles shakedown ride on Friday. The bike was kind of alright and I'm not used to it at all yet. It felt a little uncomfortable. I remember shuffling around on the seat a fair bit and trying to find a comfy position on the bar tops.

Today I've made some very small adjustments. I flipped the stem, put the last remaining spacer under the stem, tilted the bars around 5º and moved the seat back 5mm.

When I rode the bike, I was instantly more comfortable. My bum hit the saddle in exactly the right spot and stayed there, the slightly more upright position was better.

I'm still reaching too far and think I now need a shorter stem. Being such a large frame, it's got a long enough stem for an ape.

I'm surprised and amazed at the difference small adjustments have made.

We're going for a 'fit' early next year. The bike shop I bought my new helmet in yesterday is having some work done and the fitting room is closed until after Christmas.

Hey, see you're fairly local. Where you thinking of getting the bike fit? I'd like to get one sorted soon.

Need a riding buddy too lol

OP
OP
L

Lochen

Hey, see you're fairly local. Where you thinking of getting the bike fit? I'd like to get one sorted soon.

Need a riding buddy too lol
Elmy Cycles in Ipswich. I wanted to get the ferry across to Shotley and ride to Ipswich. Nine miles. Ferry starts in May....if I can wait that long.

Whereabouts are you?

Ah. found you :okay:

I'm up for a ride somewhere.....I am a beginner though....ten miles is my farthest to date. I'm ambitious though ^_^

Last edited:

mk6golf

Elmy Cycles in Ipswich. I wanted to get the ferry across to Shotley and ride to Ipswich. Nine miles. Ferry starts in May....if I can wait that long.

Whereabouts are you?

Ah. found you :okay:

I'm up for a ride somewhere.....I am a beginner though....ten miles is my farthest to date. I'm ambitious though ^_^

Ferry? I have a powerboat at Ipswich Marina! My other hobby and part time pad for when I'm working in Ipswich. Yes the ferry is out the water I believe atm having its winter work done.

Thought you was going to say pedal power in martlesham as they're currently doing some work to their shop.

I'll normally do 10 - 20 miles depending on terrain. I like to do things by the hour and normally get about 25km. Again still new to it all but am only 25 and light as a twig!

OP
OP
L

Lochen

Ferry? I have a powerboat at Ipswich Marina! My other hobby and part time pad for when I'm working in Ipswich. Yes the ferry is out the water I believe atm having its winter work done.

Thought you was going to say pedal power in martlesham as they're currently doing some work to their shop.

I'll normally do 10 - 20 miles depending on terrain. I like to do things by the hour and normally get about 25km. Again still new to it all but am only 25 and light as a twig!
Good God man! 25 and skinny.....I'm a 60 year old fat bloke.... ..

OP
OP
L

Lochen

Pictures as promised

Leg extended
20161218_143856.jpg

3 and 9 o'clock
20161218_143901.jpg

Thoughts?

Top Bottom