Suspension Forks - Another question from a Newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Have been riding to work for a couple of months 12 miles each way

Am reading so much info, just don't know what to do. I am looking to buy a new hybrid for which I will be 90% commuting and park and towpath riding at weekends.

I am 15st+ and don't know if suspension forks are going to be helpful, obsorbing the pot holes or a hinderance, extra weight?

Confused:wacko:

Been looking at Mongoose Crossway 850, Trek Soho 3.0, Kona Dew FS??

I have put another thread up re mechanical and hydraulic brakes. So many things to consider.

Advice most welcome:biggrin:

RedBike

They might be of use for the towpath but on tarmac they'll be nothing but a hinderance.

I wouldn't want suspension for the type of riding your doing. Although you might apprechiate that extra bit of comfort over rougher ground.

buddha

Veteran
As per Redbike, I'd give front sus a miss for the type of riding you state.
It'll be unnecessarily heavy and spongy.
Whatever bike you buy, get your LBS to true and tension the front (and back) wheel properly (typically £10/wheel, or free if you supply cake). And for comfort use a 28mm tyre.

Keith Oates

Janner
Front suspension is a matter of personal choice, some people like it for only road riding and others say it's not necessary. If possible find a bike shop (LBS) that let's you test ride bikes and try for yourself then make up your own mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My old mtb had front suspension, which worked okay, but i only ever had it on the hardest setting available, and this wasnt hard enough in my opinion... so I went the no suspension route, and got a dawes discovery 601.. im about 16 stone and do mostly road riding (the roads i use are rough and have lots of potholes). havent done many miles yet, and it still feels a little bumpy at times, but i wouldnt go back to suspension forks.. fatter tyres could reduce the bumps anyway... otherwise im sure its easy to get used to it... and you get a greater feeling of control..

k-dog

I hate it for road riding - and even some off road. It's not the added weight but the way it bobs around when climbing out of the saddle. I would much rather have a rigid fork.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My MTB is a rigid frame, and I've managed to do some serious off-roading on it over the years....it's now my commuter with semi slicks and mudguards.

Unless you are spending some serious money, forget suspension. You really need one with proper lockout, plus it will eat into the budget for good components.

Top Bottom