Sussex here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hybrid_plonker

Hello- Am rekindling interest with the bike. Have not cycled since the 50s. Need some exercise. All these flat Sustrans routes in Sussex are very inviting. Not too keen on hills. Looking for a suitable bike and trying to work out which one. Seem to be plenty to choose from.
Went to see if I could hire a bike at Heathfield the other day. Bicycle shop says - No longer do that - insurance too high etc etc. Anyway walked down to start of the Heathfield section of the Cuckoo Trail and see the notice attached.

In case it does not appear here I will write what it says:

CUCKOO TRAIL CLOSED AHEAD - WARNING - ALTERNATIVE ROUTES ARE UNSUITABLE FOR MANY CUCKOO TRAIL USERS. PLEASE CONSIDER IF YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS JOURNEY.

Anyway I was thinking - what imbecile devised that notice?

So looking forward to getting plenty of fun out of cycling.

Attachments

• cuckoo.jpg
    cuckoo.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 44

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They shut it whilst they repair a broken mains sewer. Should be open in time for the schools to break up.

The alternative routes are on roads, some of them busy, on bridleways, some of them muddy, and on footpaths, upon which it is illegal to cycle. Thus for many prospective users the alternatives are unsuitable.

Welcome to cyclechat btw :welcome:

You live in a wonderful part of Sussex and I hope you get out on a bike soon.

OP
OP
H

hybrid_plonker

Thanks for that.
Let me make myself clear about my previous comment.
The notice does not give any clues about the broken mains sewer and the timing - it is devoid of any useful information. It is useless.
Sorry to rant on as there was a better notice at Horam which does give some information. Picture attached.

And frankly the distance between Heathfield and the start of the closure south of Hailsham must be at least 9 miles ! Far enough for a beginner to have a great bike ride there and back !
I just got peeved how someone could stick that notice up without more info.

Attachments

• cuckoo trail.jpg
    cuckoo trail.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 34

E11a

Hi hybrid plonker, and welcome. Completely agree about the first sign. Even saying that it was closed temporarily would have helped :rolleyes:

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Hi HP...
Sussex is a fabulous place to cycle, coastal paths, North & South Downs, and all those lovely lanes wandering through the countryside.
Cheers for the heads up about The Cuckoo Trail - we were thinking of doing it this weekend, will have to resort to Plan B now
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

hybrid_plonker

I guess that you have already done the route between Worth and Groombridge. Sustrans 21 or whatever.
At Groombridge you have to go up the hill to the village. When you go past the church and start the downhil run take the first right and you will come to the Junction Inn. Recommended. Junction Inn at Groombridge

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks for that.
Let me make myself clear about my previous comment.
The notice does not give any clues about the broken mains sewer and the timing - it is devoid of any useful information. It is useless.
Sorry to rant on as there was a better notice at Horam which does give some information. Picture attached.

And frankly the distance between Heathfield and the start of the closure south of Hailsham must be at least 9 miles ! Far enough for a beginner to have a great bike ride there and back !
I just got peeved how someone could stick that notice up without more info.

your rant was entirely justified, but you'll get used to being a 2nd class citizen in the eyes of authority.

Top Bottom