Sustrans android map

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Works a treat on my tablet, thanks:thumbsup:

Chris Mitchell

I just downloaded it on my HTC Desire, and it seems pretty much useless, unless I'm missing the blooming obvious! It starts off by showing you a map at small scale of most of the UK - you can drag it around a bit to centre it where you want it, so I tried that and touched the screen. It came up with "Route 77", so I guess that Route 77 is somewhere close to where I touched, but at that scale, it could have been pretty much anywhere in the Midlands.

Then I searched for a postcode - and it came up with a large scale map showing three streets, including the street with that postcode. OK, great - but now what? There's no zoom function, so the whole concept of planning a route is a bit pointless. It tells me, for instance, that I'm 1.8km from a train station when I search for attractions - but the only option I have is to go to the station on the map. It then shows me a very large scale map of the roads where the station is. The missing link is the bit that tells me how to get from where I am now to the station, or to show where I am in relation to the station.

If anyone's actually managed to get this working in a useful manner, I'd love to know how. A phone showing me three nearby streets but no way of zooming out to find actual cycle routes is pretty pointless. There doesn't seem to be a help guide either - the "help" function just claims I can plan routes and find places, but doesn't say *how* to do this.

albion

Guru
I had just found it after a mention here of Strava which is also new to me.
It was released on January 31st supposedly.

I've not tried it yet and lets hope its not as totally useless as the web site was last time I bothered to visit.(ages ago)
***********************************************************************************************************

edit - after an initial shock it is actually looking quite useful. Obviously they have been forced into using the free Ordance Survey Open Data. On Android whilst the normal pinch to zoom works there is no zoom in the menu or any zoom buttons.

But considering it has zoom, it uses the GPS and you get a full map screen it is quite OK for the first effort.

I just downloaded it on my HTC Desire, and it seems pretty much useless, unless I'm missing the blooming obvious! It starts off by showing you a map at small scale of most of the UK - you can drag it around a bit to centre it where you want it, so I tried that and touched the screen. It came up with "Route 77", so I guess that Route 77 is somewhere close to where I touched, but at that scale, it could have been pretty much anywhere in the Midlands.

Then I searched for a postcode - and it came up with a large scale map showing three streets, including the street with that postcode. OK, great - but now what? There's no zoom function, so the whole concept of planning a route is a bit pointless. It tells me, for instance, that I'm 1.8km from a train station when I search for attractions - but the only option I have is to go to the station on the map. It then shows me a very large scale map of the roads where the station is. The missing link is the bit that tells me how to get from where I am now to the station, or to show where I am in relation to the station.

If anyone's actually managed to get this working in a useful manner, I'd love to know how. A phone showing me three nearby streets but no way of zooming out to find actual cycle routes is pretty pointless. There doesn't seem to be a help guide either - the "help" function just claims I can plan routes and find places, but doesn't say *how* to do this.

Although to be fair to Sustrans, if the above pointless functionality is what they're providing for Android phones, at least they're being consistent with how useful their cycle routes are.

U

User482

I thought the app was pretty good. Pinch to zoom works fine on my HTC (down to very large scale), and the ability to centre the map on your GPS location is very useful if you're lost. A little bonus is that the OS mapping would also appear to work even if you're no-where near a cycle route - useful if you're lost on a mountain for example.

Top Bottom