swapping disc brake calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I have and old MTB that im now scrapping but I thought I would use the hydraulic disc brakes and swapp them onto my hybrid bike that currently has mechanical brakes.

the mtb has larger disc so the spacing in not the same. when i put the hydraulic brake onto my new bike it seems to be to far onto the disc two small washers help fix the rub but as brakes are important how far should the caliper slide over the disc.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the caliper has a 'window' it should be possible to see how the pads sit on the disc and adjust to suit. As long as the pads are sitting within the disc should be okay. Don't think there's any hard and fast rule. Otherwise just swap the discs.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
If the caliper has a 'window' it should be possible to see how the pads sit on the disc and adjust to suit. As long as the pads are sitting within the disc should be okay. Don't think there's any hard and fast rule. Otherwise just swap the discs.

ok thanks. without the washers the caliper seemed to slide too far onto the disc and there was a slight drag. I just wanted to check I was gettig enough pad contact with the washers

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are you swapping the rotors over too? If not and the rotor diameters are different, you need a(n)(different) adaptor to fit between fork/stay and the brake itself.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Are you swapping the rotors over too? If not and the rotor diameters are different, you need a(n)(different) adaptor to fit between fork/stay and the brake itself.

no im not swapping the rotors as the hybrid has centerlocks. the i left the hybrid adapors in place and just added the calipers. but the hydraulic calipers just seem to sit closer to the hun than the mech ones did

Top Bottom