Sweaty newbie needs advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

Sorry for the thoughts but I've always been a bit of a sweater. I'd like to know what you guys wear to wick away and how many layers are best. I warm up very quickly so don't really need to protect to much from the cold.
Im a bit overweight as well so would also like a recommendation on a lightweight jacket as opposed to lycra which may show the worst bits of me.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Sadly a lightweight jacket will heighten the problem as it'll impede the sweats ability to evaporate.
I wear a vest base layer with all the magical properties that a 4 year old £5.99 base layer from Lidls gets you and a short sleeve jersey at this time of year.
I'm a prolific sweater as well, I recently got a Sportful 2nd Skin X-Lite Sleeveless Base Layer which is a fishnet job and is amazing at keeping my body dry and my jersey damp.

Felix79

I normally wear one of my football shirts rather than one of my cycling tops (I'm too fat and self conscious to wear them as I am). The football shirts are really baggy, but the material is very good at letting you sweat and keeping your body temp under control.

I don't want to get into any football related flaming, but my tops are Manchester United tops, which are made by Adidas and Nike. I would hazard a guess that the material is used in different sports tops they produce and would be far cheaper than buying a team football shirt.

I have found the current Adidas top Manchester United use is better than the older Nike tops I have. Also the Adidas tops are much bigger/longer than the Nike tops of an equal sized (XXXL). I wear cycling bib-shorts so that I don't have to worry about buildersbum. The only big drawback for me wearing the football shirts is that I have no pockets to put a phone/keys in. I am hoping once I am able to shed off a few stone, I will feel more confident about wearing my proper cycling tops so I can have the flexibility of having pockets and a zipped front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

Thanks for the advice. Don't know if I can justify £35- £40 on a vest though, especially as Id like 3 or 4. I will try the normal vest to see if that helps. Good advice about the jacket. Thankyou

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The only big drawback for me wearing the football shirts is that I have no pockets to put a phone/keys in. I am hoping once I am able to shed off a few stone, I will feel more confident about wearing my proper cycling tops so I can have the flexibility of having pockets and a zipped front.
Even then, never put keys (or anything harder than your spine) in your back pockets. If you do happen to fall off, you don't want them stabbing you in the back. Please put them in a saddlebag or bar bag or tri bag or tool bottle or basket or even trouser pockets.

Good luck, though. Sorry I can't help with the OP as I'm not very sweaty (probably because I ride too slow :smile: )

U

User32269

Have a look on internet or dig through bargain rails at millets / go outdoors etc. You can pick up decent short or long sleeve wicking base layers that just look like t-shirts. I wear them all the time when cycling and playing footy with the kids.
Jackets are a problem, I've yet to find anything that isn't a bit boil in the bag.
The best I find are lightweight micro fleece but they still get a bit soggy if your putting the effort in.

You don't need to wear a cycling jersey to ride a bike. Any wicking T shirt will do the job.
If you sweat you are over-heating. Don't wear more layers until you stop sweating.
If you need to add layers,. add a midlayer like a lightweight fleece or jersey without windproofing, or even another t shirt to form a wind-resistant combination. Windproofs will stop your sweat evapourating and you well get drenched.
Don't wear a waterproof unless it is raining hard. In light rain use a non-waterproof, windproof layer such as Pertex.

Red17

Veteran
Decathlon hiking gear is worth a look. Generally a bit looser fit than cycling gear and reasonable prices.

leedsmick

I don't want to get into any football related flaming, but my tops are Manchester United tops, which are made by Adidas and Nike. I would hazard a guess that the material is used in different sports tops they produce and would be far cheaper than buying a team.

Can i just have one dig at your choice of shirt?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just get bigger sizes, or the casual/MTB style stuff. It's designed not to show sweaty stains and patches. Avoid anything cotton, or traditional fabrics. It needs to be a sport top of some sort.

united4ever

Über Member
Great choice of shirt OP! Seriously though....wear less. Running vests and shorts this time of year. Got both from aldi and very happy with them. The vests their cover your chest quite well so am not too self conscious wearing them. I still end up having too splash water from the tap in the works toilets onto my face and hair and take a towel to dry off. Coming home i dont care because i get straight in the shower. If it was a leisure ride i wouldnt care about getting sweaty.

Top Bottom