Swiss Army Knifeless..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Ironically, the Romans had a SAK for their legionaries (blade broken on this example):

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpeg
    IMG_0941.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16

Dadam

Ironically, the Romans had a SAK for their legionaries (blade broken on this example):

Beat me to it!
@Punkawallah not the Romans.
(though they did too!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's a marlin spike and intended to help splicing rope.

I don't think I've seen a marlin spike on a swiss army knife, but concede I've not seen every model they've ever made. Quite a useful thin for a caving knife, albeit to undo knots rather than actually splice

This is a marlin spike for those who've not seen one

B4FE0CAB-A7BE-4A4D-9D90-0B61F4693EEA.jpeg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I don't think I've seen a marlin spike on a swiss army knife, but concede I've not seen every model they've ever made. Quite a useful thin for a caving knife, albeit to undo knots rather than actually splice

This is a marlin spike for those who've not seen one

View attachment 730239

Yacht chandlers sell a similar knife on a lanyard which should always be with you when sailing.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Had my SAK for 35 years (bought in Interlaken on an interrailing trip), and the awl is the least used tool. (Nearly broke my thumb nail opening it!)
1000010296.jpg

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did a quick search and it seems Victorinox do (or did) make a bike tool. It's basically a compact allen key set with driver and a couple of detachable tyre levers. As it doesn't have a chain tool it's immediately off my list of potential bike tools. Also, I don't trust the built-in tyre levers that come with tools, they strike me as flimsy. I always carry a set of indestructible plastic levers that I once got free off a magazine.

I think my ideal bike combi tool would probably have a set of allen keys - (maybe just heads + a driver as is the case with the Victorinox one) plus straight and crosshead screwdrivers.. Chain tool. Valve removal tool (presta and schrader). folding Leatherman type pliers - I have a mini faux-leatherman and the pliers are incredibly handy. All in a case with a little pocket to store a few quick links of different sizes. If you can cram it in maybe even a little jewellers screwdriver for specs-related emergencies.

Possibly a spoke key - but in my experience the only use for a spoke key is making matters worse, but go on, throw it in.

Maybe disc brakes have some kind of important doodad that should be included. I don't know, I've never used them.

I don't think I've ever used the blades on my little leatherman, so I wouldn't need a blade. I definitely don't want flimsy built-in tyre levers.

What have I missed out?

Gwylan

Veteran
You can't say that ! This is the internet so I would have expect at least the words "you retard" and maybe a reference to Hitler

No, I'm a serial error maker. My condition has not got a name yet. But you should not bully me and make me face my incompetence.
I probably ought to be able to seek compensation and someone else should be to blame.
Now you are labelled an error bully. Your house will be repainted in the night. 😏

figbat

Slippery scientist
I don't think I have ever seen a SAK with a hoof pick tool. I just looked it up and they do an Equestrian variant, which includes it but I've never seen one.

View attachment 730212

What are the chances?! I’ve never seen an equestrian knife before and found the image above to illustrate my point. Then today I was mooching around an antiques shop and this caught my eye. Complete with hoof pick and trimming tool.

IMG_5589.jpeg

Top Bottom