Switching rear wheels between Campy and Shimano.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sorry if this is a daft question but I bought new, light (expensive!) wheels for my Shimano-equipped bike last year and they are superb and I love them and everything is great. However, during the winter, I bought a Campag-equipped bike with a compact chainset. I would now like the option of using the expensive wheel set on the Campag bike for longer rides/sportives etc. Is this possible? From a phone call to my LBS, he reckons not but I'm not sure I trust his answer. What say you good folks out in CC land?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the cassette spacing is the same then yes, but I don't think they are !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your Campy cassette will not index correctly with Shimano shifers. Believe me - I've just taken the Campy off and replaced it with Shimano and the shifting is now perfect.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
Your Campy cassette will not index correctly with Shimano shifers. Believe me - I've just taken the Campy off and replaced it with Shimano and the shifting is now perfect.
Unless he fits an Ambrosia casstte or a Shiftmate, as suggested in two posts above.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A shiftmate is good for a long-term fix, but is no good for switching wheels regularly - you'd need a new gear cable just about every time.

If you put a campag-spaced/shimano spline cassette on, like the Ambrosio one, you will want to either keep on top of chain wear, or use a specific chain for that cassette and swap chain as well as wheel.

PS Ambrosia is custard or rice pud, not bike bits

Top Bottom