Take it back to the LBS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxymoron

Regular
Hi, looking for a bit of advice, please.

I took my bike into the LBS to get a mystery creaking sorted out, which they did - by replacing the bottom bracket. However on my cycle into work this morning noticed a few problems with gear shifting. Now I know that I should be able to sort the alignment out myself but on the odd occassions I have tried I seem to make it worse.... (I am not the best when it comes to fixing anything :blush:).

So should I take it back to the LBS to fix (as it would seem they caused the problem in the first place) or do I have another shot at fettling it myself when I may then end up back there anyway.... And if the latter, any tips on how to realign the gears properly?

Cheers

fossala

Guru
They broke it, they should fix it.

Reactions: akb
OP
OP
O

Oxymoron

Regular
Thanks for the advice. I took it back and after first of all saying, "it couldn't possibly be from when we replaced the bottom bracket as we don't touch the gears when we do that, it must be the way you ride/change gears" which annoyed me a little as I have been riding that bike for a couple of years now and know how to change gears and what it's normally like, they eventually grudgingly took it out for a test ride, fiddled a little with it and it seems ok now.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When the B.B has been replaced/ removed, the chainline can alter ever so slightly. This can effect the shifting at the rear, especially if the chain is worn a bit.The bike shop should of checked the shifting at the front and back as a matter of course before handing it back.

Biglad82

When the B.B has been replaced/ removed, the chainline can alter ever so slightly. This can effect the shifting at the rear, especially if the chain is worn a bit.The bike shop should of checked the shifting at the front and back as a matter of course before handing it back.
This happened once with me after changing a chain (I didn't have athe right tool at the time) but they sorted it without problem but my LBS are fantastic for customer service.

Top Bottom