Taking bike by train via Belgium into France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camerabag

Hi folks

We're off to France with our bikes, meeting up with our German friends.

The plan was to hop on the ferry from Hull where we live (so it's a 10 minute ride this end) to Zeebrugge and take a train to L'Ilse sur le Doubs in Franche-Compté. However, it doesn't seem that simple! Apparently it's not possible to take bikes by train from Belgium into France??

Anyone managed it? Or should we head for the Eurostar or drive south :angry: and hop on a cross channel ferry? :wacko:

A few years back I travelled from Antwerp to Lille with my bike without any problems

robgul

Legendary Member
A couple of weeks ago I used the train to get from Cologne to near Brussels - total of 6 trains over 2 days - no problems at all, the border crossings were seamless - and onward to France is equally straightforward.

The only slight downside was that the platforms are low and most trains had 2 or 3 stairs at the doorway - which meant lugging the bike with panniers etc up into the carriage.

Rob

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I travelled from
Brugge to Calais via Lille on Monday just gone with no probs. there were two of us and we paid 12 euros per bike (bike cost is in addition to train fare). We also travelled late afternoon so rush hour was no problem.

Polite

Über Member
A few years back I travelled from Antwerp to Lille with my bike without any problems
Hello,

I'm travelling to Lille by Eurostar next week. I'd like to cycle to Ghent then Antwerp then Brussels, I've never cycled across a country before, nor in Belgium, is it as cycle friendly as anecdotes suggest? Thank you.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hello,

I'm travelling to Lille by Eurostar next week. I'd like to cycle to Ghent then Antwerp then Brussels, I've never cycled across a country before, nor in Belgium, is it as cycle friendly as anecdotes suggest? Thank you.

I assume you have seen the new rules about boxing bikes when taking them on the Eurostar ?
http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/20151014-cyclings-zero-stars-eurostar

However once there and having rebuilt your bike, the cycling is great, but you need a bar bag in which to place your map, and the ability to read it.
The rest of northern Europe really is cycling friendly, we are around 30-40 years behind them

Polite

Über Member
I assume you have seen the new rules about boxing bikes when taking them on the Eurostar ?
http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/20151014-cyclings-zero-stars-eurostar

However once there and having rebuilt your bike, the cycling is great, but you need a bar bag in which to place your map, and the ability to read it.
The rest of northern Europe really is cycling friendly, we are around 30-40 years behind them
I'm going in October and the new rules don't happen until November so I will not need to box up nor rebuild my bike on this occasion. Yes, I think I can read a map and I will have one with me in a bar bag. Thanks.

Top Bottom