Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Has anyone noticed more people cycling with the cost of fuel ?
Saw 2 cyclists this morning where I don't normally see any at all .
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Has anyone noticed more people cycling with the cost of fuel ?
Saw 2 cyclists this morning where I don't normally see any at all .

Not yet. Most at work are regulars or fair weather. Given it probably costs me £10-£12 per day to drive in (£5 parking included) I'll continue doing that and it's also better for the 'van' not doing the commute. The traffic locally is terrible. It's taking 20 minutes to drive less than a mile. I had to drive a couple of times last week, and, unfortunately, drive again tomorrow (family need a lift). I drive about 6000 miles a year, but about 4,000 is 'trips' away.
 

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Location
Rides Ti2
Base layer needed this morning as it was definitely a bit chilly

Has anyone noticed more people cycling with the cost of fuel ?
Saw 2 cyclists this morning where I don't normally see any at all .

Here is the SE of Englandshire it was a nice balmy 13.5° at 7am this morning.

My commute is in SE London innit Bruv. Some days I see loads of cyclists, other days I see maybe one other other days none. There's never any rhyme or reason as to why.
 

tinywheels

Veteran
Location
South of hades
back at it, nice and warm though, charing cross here i come

17906615545902306500648598383800.jpg
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
Conspicuously chilly yesterday; about right in a LS 200 weight base layer and my new mid-weight trousers although my hands were pretty cold until I’d warmed up.


Much warmer this morning; hot in the same trousers and SS 150 weight base layer.

Traffic was relatively heavy throughout and included a lovely interaction with some pillock pulling out a junction. I’m overtaking queued traffic but see a gap’s been left at a junction on my side so assume someone’s pulling out. Sure enough this is the case so I slow, then stop fairly forward on the outside of the traffic so that I’m visible and I have options to either go around on the inside if they keep coming out or on the outside if they stop.

As expected guy keeps pulling out, tightens his line, looks straight through me and nearly drives straight into me… then opens conversation through his open window with “it’s no wonder we hate cyclists…”. His argument was that I was on the wrong side of the road (may have just been); mine was that he was joining my carriageway so he should have given way to me, while, I had stopped for him despite my priority and he still nearly managed to drive into me despite my being stationary.

Sadly at the time I failed articulate my position as well as I’d have liked and could only manage “watch where you’re going you f*cking peanut” before passing round the back of him and carrying on.

Second dickhead of the day was 150-year-old Hans Moleman pulling away from stationary on my side of the road and towards me, sees me coming as he peers over his steering wheel but keeps coming with his mouth going and that look of rage on his face that’s the preserve of demented, self-entitled old men.

I’m not particularly proud of how I reacted the first situation but take some comfort from the fact that both these situations were spotted in good time to allow me to handle them, and neither took me by surprise or presented any particular danger… While I dislike the conflict I feel like my defensive riding skills are still functioning reasonably well.

On the up-side I did get out of a junction by a taxi, as well as some bloke in a big Mercedes – both of which were unexpected and welcome.
 

Mazz

Über Member
Location
Leicester
Conspicuously chilly yesterday; about right in a LS 200 weight base layer and my new mid-weight trousers although my hands were pretty cold until I’d warmed up.


Much warmer this morning; hot in the same trousers and SS 150 weight base layer.

Traffic was relatively heavy throughout and included a lovely interaction with some pillock pulling out a junction. I’m overtaking queued traffic but see a gap’s been left at a junction on my side so assume someone’s pulling out. Sure enough this is the case so I slow, then stop fairly forward on the outside of the traffic so that I’m visible and I have options to either go around on the inside if they keep coming out or on the outside if they stop.

As expected guy keeps pulling out, tightens his line, looks straight through me and nearly drives straight into me… then opens conversation through his open window with “it’s no wonder we hate cyclists…”. His argument was that I was on the wrong side of the road (may have just been); mine was that he was joining my carriageway so he should have given way to me, while, I had stopped for him despite my priority and he still nearly managed to drive into me despite my being stationary.

Sadly at the time I failed articulate my position as well as I’d have liked and could only manage “watch where you’re going you f*cking peanut” before passing round the back of him and carrying on.

Second dickhead of the day was 150-year-old Hans Moleman pulling away from stationary on my side of the road and towards me, sees me coming as he peers over his steering wheel but keeps coming with his mouth going and that look of rage on his face that’s the preserve of demented, self-entitled old men.

I’m not particularly proud of how I reacted the first situation but take some comfort from the fact that both these situations were spotted in good time to allow me to handle them, and neither took me by surprise or presented any particular danger… While I dislike the conflict I feel like my defensive riding skills are still functioning reasonably well.

On the up-side I did get out of a junction by a taxi, as well as some bloke in a big Mercedes – both of which were unexpected and welcome.

Bit slow on the uptake me... I've just worked out what LS and SS mean. Also had to Google 'Hans Moleman'.

Every day's a school day on here.
 

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Location
Oxford
Bit slow on the uptake me... I've just worked out what LS and SS mean. Also had to Google 'Hans Moleman'.

Every day's a school day on here.

I hope your new-found wisdom empowers you to pass masterfully through your day; impervious to life's challenges thanks to the power bestowed upon you by this knowledge :tongue:
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Into a cross headwind most of the way in this morning and heavy drizzle for the first couple of miles , didn't sleep well last night either so I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a fun ride.
 
Top Bottom