Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
@Maylian nice riding, it's been beautiful this week. Hoping for more!

The only thing notable about today's commute was the contrast to my last one. On Tuesday the roads were empty and the trains were packed, today the roads were busy but the trains were empty. I usually get a bike space in the morning regardless, as I get on at the first stop but so did the lady who got on down the line.
20240419_070948.jpg

I mostly don't get a space at night though but I did today 👍

20240419_173520.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning; left late after a crap night's sleep and plenty of necessary prep before departure. Forecast said chilly and it was; so I gave my bargain 1/4 zipped DHB merino baselayer its first proper outing and it did very nicely under my waterproof; the neck format both giving noticeably more warmth and allowing good temperature regulation via the zip. Rain was consistant but light; not particularly pleasant but manageable enough in the waterproofs and this time my feet didn't get soaked.

Spent the day out on site, walked a couple of miles back to work then back to the car on the Brompton. Went via Kennington to push the distance out and once in town had more fun ascending St Aldates; which appears to have become the little B's favoured hunting ground.

I stopped at the light amongst a bunch of other cyclists.. pulled away reasonably quickly at the usual low cadence, upright on the saddle.
Passed the bloke on the (electic?) Van Moof(?) Cowboy with ease, but was drafted by a skinny bloke on a road bike who no doubt appreciated my considerable frontal area aiding his progress. Getting near the top he pulled out to pass and slowly drew level; remarking on how quick the bike was while giving it a once-over; perhaps checking for a motor... again all good fun and a nice interaction with a fellow cyclist. I apparently hit 180bpm but for some reason, while not easy it didn't feel that hardcore..

From there it was on to the Vicky in Jericho for a quick pint; where I was privvy to a moped delivery driver's loud, protracted phone conversation across the road. From what I could gather, the one certain takeaway about the subject in hand (whatever that may have been) was that he definitely couldn't give a f*ck..

IMG_20240422_180552.jpg

IMG_20240422_181242.jpg

After the pub I checked out a load of wheels that had been abandoned next to Walton St Cycles; however suppressed the inner gannet as they looked cheap and knackered, so I left well alone.

Back along the tow path and despite the cold and tiredness it just felt great to be out in this peaceful, lush, green escape.

I stopped at the monkey bars for a bit of a spinal decompression and one set of knee raises (abs ached for days after the last lot) then it was finally back to the car.

A busy day encompassing about 20 miles on the bike; I feel good for it now if completely knackered so will try and force an early night; otherwise tomorrow will be miserable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom