Tall Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
funnymummy said:
I injured my back a few years ago & had similar problems with aches & pains caued by riding in a hunched position.
I'm not as tall as you, i'm only 6'2" but for a woman thats pretty tall lol!
I opted for a 21" hybrid(Giant Expression DX) & then had a couple of extras fitted, an extra long stem with adjustbale quill & swapped straight bars for comfort risers.
In all it added more than enough height to make me sit up straight & stop me leaning foward.
If you are happy with the bike you have, maybe just adding a longer stem & changing your bars would do the trick - (i've just done this for my eldest sons bike & got the bits off Ebay dead cheap!)

Funnymummy, you made me feel so much better...was getting very fed up with thinking I was the tallest with my 5'11 and 3/4s... :tongue:

OP
OP
T

Trev

Argh, so i had an absolute nightmare!!!

Bought myself a nice little adjustable stem with 60 degree adjustment, and a `riser` handlebar. Come to put it together and i must be missing a spacer or something as the central pin just kept turning, took it back out and appears i`ve threaded the hexagonal lock nut type thing. So now have no way of securing my forks, cant see them being an off the shelf item so looks like a new set of forks too now.

I should have just bought some deep heat and put up with the back pain!!!:tongue:

k-dog

^ yeah, if it's just the star nut inside the fork that you've stripped then you can just bash it out and fit a new one. LBS will be able to do it for you - a lot cheaper and easier than a new fork.

OP
OP
T

Trev

Good news, i didnt realise that star nut thing seems to do little else than hold the cap on. Anyway i managed to codge the new stem on and cycled to work with new stem and handlebar in place. When i got to work got that star nut out, re-tapped it and knocked it back into position, got a new cap head and fitted the cap back on *seemingly ok*.

Since waking up after cycling home only have a slight twinge in my back, but that has been present all this week following a fairly prolonged week of riding. The riding position seems a lot more comfortable if not a little alien to me, my back seems to ba kept a lot straighter and hopefully this will prove to be the key.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Regards, Trev.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Trev

I'm 6'7" too, i ride a 25" tourer and a 23" hardtail mountain bike.

If you're after a budget bike you could go for a 2nd hand Galaxy or similar (plenty of good old Raleighs and Claud Butlers on you know where).

If you want new the Dawes Discovery hybrids go up to 23", i had one and it fitted me great, 201s start at about £150 - 200, going up to £5-600 for the 601.

Paul's Cycles often have the odd big bike heavily discounted if they just have 1 or 2 left.

Try not to have too much difference between bar and saddle height, your wrists will be agony and your lower back will hurt.

Good luck !

Bigtallfatbloke

I am 6' 4 " tall. I ride a Dawes Galaxy tourer...which may or may not be your thing...(but it's a reasonable ride when not loaded as well). I have a 64cm frame, which is why I bought this type of tourer, because it was available in what I call 'normally huge' size:biggrin: It cost me £650 brand new. I can ride all day on it 80-90 miles and not be in agony. I have spent a lot of time tweaking the position of the saddle, bars etc, even a mm change can make a huge difference to aches and pains I find. Having ridden this for about a year now I feel the urge to get a faster road race bike for shorter rides. I say this because I reckon I could ride a slightly smaller frame size, say a 61cm and be ok....so as I am 6'4" and you are 6'7" perhaps a 64cm frame would suit you (?) and with some time spent riding and 'tweaking' it may be a possible solution for you. It's never going to be a fast road bike though, but I can do 38 miles an hour on it down hill and it will carry a very heavy bloke like me and a heavy camping load a long way in reasonable comfort without breaking the bank I feel.

postman

Legendary Member
Good advice BTFB i also have a Dawes Galaxy 64cm,and Spa Cycles tweeked mine for me whilst i rode up and down outside the shop.Brill customer service.I also bought a xl Giant Rincon for towpath riding and old railway tracks.You can get quite a speed up on the Giant.I also am hankering after a road bike and a compact frame 58.5 has been mentioned to me.Which will take a rider of 6-4 to 6-7.So they say.

Top Bottom