tandem back from John o groats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogersavery

We are doing lands end to john o groats on a tandem unsupported

But we are struggling to work out how to get us and the tandem back home again afterwards

1 - train - scotrail wont take a tandem, it is too long for the guardsvan, even with wheels removed
2 - courier is an option, but we will be finishing the ride saturday evening, so will have to wait till monday for the postoffice to open
3 - one way car hire is only possible from inverness, and getting a car big enough for the tandem will cost a fortune

the only option we think will work so far is to:
- get the tandem box couiered to the postoffice in wick
- get the tandem boxed of left with the postoffice monday morning to get couriered back home
- get train or coach from wick to inverness (but it looks like the train is only once per day, so not sure we will be finished at the postoffice in time)
- get one way car hire to home

Any other suggestions gratefully received

snorri

Legendary Member
- get train or coach from wick to inverness (but it looks like the train is only once per day, so not sure we will be finished at the postoffice in time)

You could try this company http://www.ross-tours.co.uk/about.html

I know nothing about their operation, merely passing on website details. I seem to remember they posted on here at one time when this sort of query came up.

Regarding trains there are four per day from Wick to Inverness, but only one on Sunday, there are no guards vans on trains north of Inverness.
. See here to confirm www.scotrail.co.uk

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
JOG - Orkney on the ferry; enjoy a couple of days in a lovely place; Kirkwall - Aberdeen ferry; Aberdeen south on the train.

(Or, more prosaically, get a train to Inverness to pick up a car/van)

(Or, less practically, get a tandem with S&S couplings and take it as "large luggage")

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1178433"]
Are you travelling back from Wick?

Went I done the E2E back in 2005 my bike was taken in the back of a van whilst I got the train.
[/quote]
That's how it was in 2005, but the bike van service ceased some years ago. :sad:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Stagecoach say in their luggage T&C's that they will take bikes in the luggage area under the coach, usually these spaces run the length of the coach (although sometimes they are compartmented) so there should be room for a tandem. There are four or five coaches a day from Wick to Inverness. Best to check with Stagecoach first though.

jarushby

We are doing lands end to john o groats on a tandem unsupported

But we are struggling to work out how to get us and the tandem back home again afterwards

1 - train - scotrail wont take a tandem, it is too long for the guardsvan, even with wheels removed
2 - courier is an option, but we will be finishing the ride saturday evening, so will have to wait till monday for the postoffice to open
3 - one way car hire is only possible from inverness, and getting a car big enough for the tandem will cost a fortune

the only option we think will work so far is to:
- get the tandem box couiered to the postoffice in wick
- get the tandem boxed of left with the postoffice monday morning to get couriered back home
- get one way car hire to home

You could try phoning the "puffin express" guys in Inverness to see if they would have room. They do trip from Inverness upto JOG and surrounding areas most days and often have room. I think the guys name is Sinclair. A great guy, he would certainly try to help. Certainly worth an email/phone call. You should be able to get contact details through google.

Edit - email adress is sdunnett@btconnect.com

Top Bottom