Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinwf5

I am after a little advice or reassurance before my trip tomorrow to collect a tandem i have seen.

Now i have looked around but cant find any advice out there on the net, im buying the tandem for me and my son (6),

The frame is 17/15 , but im 5ft 11, but after talking to the seller about it he says he never found it a problem as he has a long seat post.

Would this size frame be suitable for me?

Many thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
No great expert on tandems, although I do own one.

I suspect the suitability or otherwise will depend on the rest of the frame geometry.

Do you have any pictures of the beast?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
17/15 frame means the front bit, where you sit, is 17 inches. The rear is 15 inches. This should be okay for your son as you can lower his seatpost.

Your section might a problem though, as a 5ft 11 inch person will usually need a 19 or 20 inch frame. The seller is right that a long seat post will help solve this, but there's not much you can do about the front (handlebars). They might be a bit too low for you so you're a8se will be up in the air and your arms leaning forward. This will lead to back and shoulder pain on longer journeys.

Having said that, this might be offset by an adjustable handlebar / stem and sloping top tube.

What I'm saying is there's too many variables.

Best thing to do is test ride the bike. If you don't feel any part of your body stretched or cramped, then it'll be right.

Good luck. I've wanted a tandem for a while for me and my 8 year old. Can't afford new and never find a used one in right size and condition. Will keep looking.

OP
OP
M

martinwf5

Thanks for the replies, i think it does have high rise handlebars, but as Moodyman says its expense of the new machines they are so expensive, as i will be using the tandem in the school holidays, £500+ cannot be justified.

Regards Martin

Globalti

Legendary Member
With the headwind we had, tandems were the fastest bikes on the Cape Argus I did a couple of weeks ago. I got on the wheel of a father/son combo and got a great tow for five miles until the father got fed up with me.

Top Bottom