Tax free Cyclists breakfasts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm just going through the mountain of tax advice that being 'elf-employed seems to bring and I noticed this in a document explaining subsistence:

Cyclists breakfasts
Until 6 April 2013 employers may provide employees with up to six tax free breakfasts per year on designated cycle to work days. The concession then ends meaning that affected employees will have to nip into workplace canteens for an early lunch instead.

Does anyone get given these free breakfasts by their employers? If not then it might be worth asking your boss for a bacon butty :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm just going through the mountain of tax advice that being 'elf-employed seems to bring and I noticed this in a document explaining subsistence:

Does anyone get given these free breakfasts by their employers? If not then it might be worth asking your boss for a bacon butty :smile:

But it expired as advice on 6th April 2013. Otherwise I'd have asked.

Reactions: gaz

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
A full English in our canteen will set you back about £1,70 not only Tax free, but heavily subsidized :hungry:

inkd

Working for a big supermarket our canteen is poor for the nightshift, coke,coffee machine and the wheels of death with curly sandwiches in. We have cooks in for dayshift but looking at the hygiene I think I would pass anyway. On the odd days our boss might get a box of donuts^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We get a £3 voucher if you do the monthly bike to work days. I've not had chance this year to join the official finish and only did the annual one. Boo

gam001

Über Member
I think Royal London do all this shenanigans.

One for @gam001
Yeah, we get all sorts of stuff on a regular basis. Don't think it's tax-free though, just company-sponsored to help reduce the number of cars in the car park (which is always full). Includes meal vouchers (£2.50 for the company canteen) / bike check-ups (plus money towards for any repairs needed) / prize draws. We have around 50 cyclists who regularly C2W. Good scheme :thumbsup:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I worked at a Government place that did free breakfasts for cyclists. As it was 30 miles each way for me, I declined to partake.

leemo

Commuter
If we cycle in at least ten days in any month we get a ten quid credit to our cashless payment cards used in the canteen.

Don't know if they claimed the tax back but the scheme is still going post April 2013. Probably more of about my employer showing its green credentials. It's one of the big uk power and gas companies :huh:

Top Bottom