tektro disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cedar37

Hi has anyone out there got Tektro lyra brakes on their bike. I have these and am very dissapointed with them as they dont work well when decending steep hills. Would I be better trying some new pads or would I be advised to change them for something else.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Have you got the lyra rotors as well? Which bike have you got?

I had Tektro Lyra brakes with Shimano rotors and it was a death trap.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
It could be that the pads have been contaminated and therefore have a reduced braking effect .. remove the pads and throw them in the dishwasher with some detergent and then reface them (once dry) on a flat sheet of 180 grit sandpaper.

Lay the sandpaper down on a flat surface ( I use a bit of MDF board) and with the face of the pads do a figure of eight rotation a few times to remove a tiny amount of the pad face.

Make sure you clean the rotors too, to remove any containments and roughen up the surface of them with sandpaper to remove the polished effect the brake pads have on it.

That should see your brakes working fine again, if failing that, replace the pads

OP
OP
C

cedar37

It could be that the pads have been contaminated and therefore have a reduced braking effect .. remove the pads and throw them in the dishwasher with some detergent and then reface them (once dry) on a flat sheet of 180 grit sandpaper.

Lay the sandpaper down on a flat surface ( I use a bit of MDF board) and with the face of the pads do a figure of eight rotation a few times to remove a tiny amount of the pad face.

Make sure you clean the rotors too, to remove any containments and roughen up the surface of them with sandpaper to remove the polished effect the brake pads have on it.

That should see your brakes working fine again, if failing that, replace the pads

Thanks will try that

Top Bottom