Tell me about headsets please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
After my previous post about my headset, http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53081

I popped into my LBS as I was passing and he says the headset needs to be replaced as its a bit gritty. And I must admit I can feel it now myself.

Would my headset problems make my front wheel sometimes feel like its shimmying a bit?, and it seems to have got a bit noisy too. (This all seems to have come on quite quickly).

Anyway to the question: Are all headsets equal?

If not, what do I look for in a replacement headset.

And I've noticed you can get spacers in different colours - now I've been looking for a way to uniquely identify my bike for a while now - so that I would be able to identify it from a photo if it was stolen then appeared on the internet. So using some kind of non-black spacers might be a way. Are coloured headsets just a gimmick and I would be better sticking to a good brand in black?

I can ask my LBS - but although good - they aren't into variety and he will probably recommend a generic black one.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I think the colours are just the anodising on the aluminium. So Black, Green Red or Tartan - they are all aluminium.

Not all headsets are created equal but as I'm still mostly using the olden technology I can't say what's best or best value for money.

The shimmy you mention might be due to your headset being a bit loose I suppose. But the noise - where does that come from? If the wheel I'd check axle adjustment and spoke tension, both of which might cause shimmy too. Not sure that a headset would make a noise on its own. What sort of noise?

I'd take it apart, give it a good clean and possibly replace the bearings -should be as good as new unless the races have become pitted.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
accountantpete said:
I'd take it apart, give it a good clean and possibly replace the bearings -should be as good as new unless the races have become pitted.

+1

Take the front forks off by looseing the nut at the steering/headset point.

Tap out and look at the bearings but be careful to remember what order the spacers etc sat in on the headset.

if it's just gritty,you'd not need to replace the bearings. If the bearings can be exposed (depends on your type of headset) Just squirt a load of gt85 all around the bearings and clean them down with a clean cloth until all the grit has gone, make sure that any remaining grit is cleaned out from in and around the headset, make sure that the bearings turn smoothly and that there are no dents etc (pits) in the bearings - be careful here when examining as I accidentally pulled one of the ballbearings out of its holder and it wouldn't fit back in - I've put the bearings back in but still haven't managed to replace it from knocking out the bearing which will be loose. Must do that!!If all good - put lots of grease around the bearings and put all the spacers and parts back on and screw the forks back on checking that they're straight.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks everyone for your replies.

twentysix by twentyfive said:
The shimmy you mention might be due to your headset being a bit loose I suppose. But the noise - where does that come from? If the wheel I'd check axle adjustment and spoke tension, both of which might cause shimmy too. Not sure that a headset would make a noise on its own. What sort of noise?

The shimmy (if that's the correct word to describe my problem), is just an occasional feel that the wheel wobbled, didn't feel quite so secure in its line - that's about the best way I can describe it. Not continuous ... just occasional loss of smoothness/line.

The noise I would say is on braking (disk brakes) - again not all the time and seeming to be a knock/rattle, coming from the front of the bike but not the wheels. I would say from the direction of the headset area. I have been trying to work out if cables or something are hitting the frame or anything like that to make the noise. Again not been able to create the noise at will off the bike to find it properly. The headset doesn't appear to be loose in the sense if you hold the front brake and rock the bike to see if there is any movement.

spence said:
And for uniqueness try this

Sorry - that would be too unique - I'm looking for something subtle that would make my bike non-standard so that if it appeared on ebay like ttcycle's one that I would be able to identify it as mine, without being so glaringly obvious that it would be changed by the seller in advance. Though I have a big scratch which should also help!!!

ttcycle said:
+1

Take the front forks off by looseing the nut at the steering/headset point.

Tap out and look at the bearings but be careful to remember what order the spacers etc sat in on the headset.

if it's just gritty,you'd not need to replace the bearings. If the bearings can be exposed (depends on your type of headset) Just squirt a load of gt85 all around the bearings and clean them down with a clean cloth until all the grit has gone, make sure that any remaining grit is cleaned out from in and around the headset, make sure that the bearings turn smoothly and that there are no dents etc (pits) in the bearings - be careful here when examining as I accidentally pulled one of the ballbearings out of its holder and it wouldn't fit back in - I've put the bearings back in but still haven't managed to replace it from knocking out the bearing which will be loose. Must do that!!If all good - put lots of grease around the bearings and put all the spacers and parts back on and screw the forks back on checking that they're straight.

This is taking me out of my comfort zone for fixes on the bike, I want to be able to do it, but may be too scared. If I take it all apart then realise I need parts to mend, can it be reassembled (if I don't take the ballbearings out:biggrin:), without having done any damage.

I don't have a problem with getting the LBS to do it, as I like to maintain a good relationship with them, whilst becoming a bit more independent as I go along. But I was thinking about putting the bike in during half term, and yet I'm starting to loose my confidence in it - I'm now wondering have I just the one problem with the headset or a second problem as well. Its nice when you can rely on your bike - which normally you can.

I'm not going to attempt anything anyway before the weekend when Mr Summerdays would be around, besides I need the bike to get to work this afternoon.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok - just done the school run and had another quick look and the knocking sound can be created by holding on the brakes and rocking the front of the bike - and I would say its from the headset area but its an aluminium frame so it amplifies the sound anyway.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
And yet another question - would the deterioration in the headset be in any way related to having to cycle on a very badly maintained road - breaking up road surface, very muddy etc - potholes are enormous etc. I have to pass through an area where builders are wrecking the road surface and not keeping it to a suitable standard even vaguely. I know some people who have had their cars damaged on this stretch of road. Could it have done the same to my bike?

1. Taking the headset apart is easy- just note down where each component goes as you take it apart- you just need to get to the metal cage that holds the ball bearings and give it a good clean.

2.The knocking will be down to the headset being too loose - undo the top nut(dead easy) without removing it completely,then unscrew the stem bolts (where they attach to the steerer) until you can move the steerer up and down. Then re-tighten the top nut (which will draw the steerer back up) until there is a)no play or judder when you apply the brakes and rock the bike and :smile: the bars turn smoothly. If the bars don't turn freely you have overtightened.

Finally re-tighten the stem bolts and you're done!

3.The bad roads could have damaged the races/bearings but it's worth trying a general clean first.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Summerdays only just seen this again - you can take it apart and put it back together again- I've been meaning to replace the bearings for some time now- as accoutantpete says- it really isn't complex - it sounds worse than it really is!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've not had to do this yet but would tackle it myself. Apparently if you do decide on new bearings then it's important to replace them all and from the same pack. This should assure consistency of size etc...I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can verify this.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
accountantpete said:
1. Taking the headset apart is easy- just note down where each component goes as you take it apart- you just need to get to the metal cage that holds the ball bearings and give it a good clean.

2.The knocking will be down to the headset being too loose - undo the top nut(dead easy) without removing it completely,then unscrew the stem bolts (where they attach to the steerer) until you can move the steerer up and down. Then re-tighten the top nut (which will draw the steerer back up) until there is a)no play or judder when you apply the brakes and rock the bike and ;) the bars turn smoothly. If the bars don't turn freely you have overtightened.

Finally re-tighten the stem bolts and you're done!

3.The bad roads could have damaged the races/bearings but it's worth trying a general clean first.

+1

It sounds as if you may have been riding for a little while with a loose headset. The brake on and rock method for checking relies on the brake being well adjusted too. To seperate out the headset effect put the front wheel up against a wall and put one set of fingers around the fork crown/bearing area and push the bike against the wall. If the headset is loose you will feel movement around the fork crown/bearing area. It's a much better test than the brake on one.

Top Bottom