Tell me if this is a dirty topic on here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I`m new, I`m getting on a bit and found returning to bikes a bit hard up hills (didn`t know hills existed when I rode years ago)
Anyway, with a worn back and knees I thought I`d bitten off more than I could chew but enjoyed the freedom and exercise that riding around my local country roads was giving me in just the few weeks that I have done it.

So! (and this might be the dirty word on here) if so just tell me to clear off. I bought an E- bike http://www.uksportimports.com/catal...k-dynamo-electric-trail-bike-meb01b-2497.html

It arrived today, charged it up and did a quick few miles (without assistance where not needed) and still got my exercise:laugh: Wowee!!! it felt like the best thing since discovering girls over 50 years ago (and I still love em today:laugh:

I got the ordanance survey map out and have started to plan my exercise routes and a good part of my area is now open to me.

I don`t know how or what to compare it with as far as electric bikes go but everything seems to work how it should (although the disk brakes ain`t like my centre pull brakes on my old Evans) but maybe they will bed in?

Q. You`ll notice from the pictures that it is fitted with an excuse of mudguards. I think I will be OK fitting a full rear guard because I can get a fixing down at the front bottom OK, half way up should be ok with maybe a home made bracket and finally some sort of fixing under the rear of the carrier (even if I have to chop the length down a bit to stop the tail wagging the dog.)
The problem is going to be the front. There is a fixing at the forks(wher the existing shortie is fixed) because the lower part doesn`t go up and down so no problems there but without any lugs on the bottom of the forks (and the disk is in the way anyway) how am I gonna get a stay(at least one) from the bottom of the mudguard? Are there any guards that come with multiple fixings for just this situation? Something that will fit around those thick forks above the caliper maybe?

Any help please

Thanks

Dave

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
If it gets you out and about then why not, read the blurb and seems ok to me, fair old weight at 66lbs, that's an extra 40lbs worth of battery and motor. Would be interested to know how it holds up, they certainly seem to be gaining in popularity.

potsy

Rambler
I seriousl thought about getting one when I was looking for my 1st bike earlier in year,couple of colleagues had them,but my main reason for getting the bike was for fitness/lose weight so decided to get a hybrid,I knew that if I had the 'easy option' when the going got tough I would rely on it too much and would be a waste of time.
If you're looking for an option that gets you out and about and are not too bothered about getting fit then it looks ideal.
Was one on the Gadget show last night that looked pretty neat,over a grand not sure what is was though.Looked light enough Suzy picked it up fairly easily.

Bman

Guru
Anything that gets you out on two wheels without burning fossil fuels (directly) has got to be a good thing! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
No shops around here for at least 4 miles and sometimes just need a newspaper and using a car just seems against the trend. Hopefully once I get more toned up I`ll alternate between the e- bike and my Evans and choose the bike for the ride I intend.

I think I might have come up with a way to fit stays to a front guard. I have a combination lock that came with a plastic bracket for fixing to the frame (I will keep the lock in my paniers anyway) without the supplied packing rings and if I fit a few turns of tape on the fork it does up a treat so I think i could use the bolt that pinches it together to fix at least one stay to. In effect the mudguard stay would assist in preventing the bracket from twisting so they would support each other.

I could also just cut a strip of ali and wrap it around the fork leaving enough of a tab to pinch it together and fix the stays to.

Do you think that just one stay each side will be enough to support the guard (obviously with the top fork fixing)

Any other ideas?

Dave

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bongman said:
Anything that gets you out on two wheels without burning fossil fuels (directly) has got to be a good thing! :biggrin:

Hear, hear! The good thing about electrics is that you can pedal when you want to and just get the help where your joints need it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If I ever find I don't have the energy for cycling anymore I fully intend to get an electrically assisted bike. Enjoy the freedom:biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Old timer said:
I got the ordanance survey map out and have started to plan my exercise routes and a good part of my area is now open to me.
I have a friend with an electro assist and he covers considerable distances, sometimes taking the train out and cycling home. Sorry I can't help you with the technical query, but I wish you happy cycling:smile::biggrin:

OT you can buy P-clips which clamp round the bottom of the fork or seatstay and enable you to attach guards or a rack to frames which don't have lugs brazed on. Sorry I can't provide a link to any, my computing skills don't strech that far but no doubt somebody will come along soon and point you in the right direction.

Top Bottom