Tempted by a recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I bought one of these a few years ago when I still lived in Milton Keynes

Bentech_zpsaa0cb6ef.jpg

It was fun to ride on the flat and could get extremely hairy on the descent. ^_^

However, the one thing I could never get over was how to adjust my seating position whilst on the bike. With a conventional bike it's easy - just stand on the pedals, but with this bike I had to stop every time I went over a bad bump or speed ramp and start off again. Unless there was some trick I was missing?

I sold it mainly for that reason - but also I was moving here and it ain't exactly flat round here :whistle:

Bodhbh

Guru
Just coming on this at random, I notice London Recumbents is near you:

http://www.londonrecumbents.com/recumbents.html

A couple of different types are available for rent and you can get the gist of them cycling in a traffic free environment around Dulwich Park. I got it in my head I wanted a recumbent a few years ago, and it was enough to give me the idea it probably wasn't for me. ofc you might different, but as others have said - if you're serious you really want to try one out. I think Bikefix in London also let you try them out.

BenM

Veteran
Unless there was some trick I was missing?
yup - there is a knack to it... on the Orca I push forward on one pedal and let the seat back pivot against me... hard to describe accurately but it does work (and until I worked it out I used to dread lumps in the road!)

B.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had an Azub-4 with 81 gears ranging from 15 to 150" and down some of our long fairly steep descents I could still be pedalling at 50mph. Great fun.

If you are looking to ride 20% and steeper hills I'd recommend three wheels, I climb anything even 33% on my Trail which has a 12" bottom gear. Slow, and start/stop but easily doable.

you could start,like i did, with trying a semi - recumbent; a bike e [no longer made but they do pop up on ebay etc] or HPV Spirit; more like a chopper but easy to ride and fairly upright seating position; good for loads but not fast; Then i picked up a kingcycle, great for weekend fast runs and if you get one with a tailbox good for light touring, but i wouldnt want to use it everyday in london as its almost a vintage bike getting on for 20 years old and i worry about its fragility; then i bought a second hand optima dingo from future cycles [ forest row near east grinstead] but their website says they have closed down; which is a shame;
i commute everyday on the dingo in london; carries two big panniers but can go fast unladen as well;
tricky to get used to the cockpit/steering but you can used to it fairly quickly; i wouldnt expect anyone to get straight on to it and ride it straight away, but the bike e or HPV spirit you can ride after about 5 minutes practice; Bikefix is my shop of choice for recumbents and spares; they have the experience and expertise and will as i understand it let you try bikes out;
good luck
bob c

BenM

Veteran
from future cycles [ forest row near east grinstead] but their website says they have closed down; which is a shame
That is a shame - it is where my Orca came from.... but I am not surprised. Many little signs that things were not at all well with the outfit when I got the Orca. At least I got my bike :biggrin:

B.

FredR

Hi there, as it happens I'm selling my Windcheetah for £600 - it's an amazing bit of kit. Come and take a look if you like.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hi there, as it happens I'm selling my Windcheetah for £600 - it's an amazing bit of kit. Come and take a look if you like.

I think I won't be able to get a new bike for a year, as I've just splashed out on a new carbon bike.
Cheers though, looks like a great bike.

Top Bottom