Tent repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Just wonder what kit and spares people carry to make field repairs of their tent, either poles snapping, holes, fabric ripping etc.?

Up to now I've been winging it a bit - Poundshop sewing kit and half-set tube of Seamgrip - push come to shove neither of which would probably do the job. It's probably time I sorted this out, rather than getting caught out.

willem

Über Member
I always carry one pole section, some seamgrip, and a few spare stakes. For anything more major, I rather hand over my precious tent to a professional repair service - but I never needed to.
Willem

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Apart from a couple of spare tent pegs and a pole sleeve I don't take anything as spare for the tent. I have had to use the p-ole slevve once and that was when the end of one of the sections split and broke off.

Most other repairs would be beyond me so taking a spares kit would be pointless.

belairman

For me, a pole sleeve and duck (or is it duct?) tape, the tape is useful for lots of things not just tents

You can always cadge a tent peg as in my experience most campers have lots, or indeed look around on the ground for one that someone has left behind

(this only works at campsites of course!)

Suerdusty

A good one for temporary repairs to fabric is spainnaker repair tape available from chandlery shops. temporary being relative as these repairs have lasted 3 years

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Cheers all. What brought this question on, I was talking to someone else camped up next a few weekends back and he mentioned he'd needed to sewup a ripped seam in a gale, splinted a broken pole, and someother derring-do I've forgotten. And I realised all I had was some sewing kit I'd been lugging around (because somewhere I read I should, like a First Aid kit that has never been opened) set hard Seamgrip and hadn't really thought it thru - unlikely either it would be much use in a disaster or I'd be much up to using it.

Although to be fair, he'd done some fairly hardcore tours across Canada, Scandanavia and some wilderness areas - which I'm unlikely to do in the near future, except perhaps doing something off-road in the Highlands.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Specifically, I carry a spare pole section and a sleeve. That's mostly because that's what came with the tent, and there's a neat compartment for the spare section in the pole bag - it would probably be just the sleeve otherwise.
I also always take about 3 extra pegs - one extra tough peg for making peg holes in hard ground with (with the aid of a big rock), and 2 others 'cos my tent takes 10 pegs max, and I take 4 each of 3 types, so I can use the best on the most important pegging points according to ground conditions
I also carry Duck tape and a sewing kit, but they are there as general kit rather than for the tent particularly.

Top Bottom