Tern and others: experience with stands and baskets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnop

Regular
As I wrote in my other tread, the size of the folded unit is (in most cases) not really relevant.

I have two comfort issues:
- I often get my groceries on the way home, and also I dont like to have a backpack on me in hot summer days.
I would like to have a basket, even if it destroys the folded size somewhat.
Did you ever use one, what are your experiences?

-With the Tern link series and similar models, the stand is just for leaving the unfolded bike.
If you want it to stand upright when folded, it rests on the saddle tube.
In fact, I dont like to re-adjust my saddle every day if its no necessary, let alone for wear and tear issues.
Some older Tern models, including the Castro series came with a two -legged stand, like motorbikes use. Yes, that would be a weight penalty, but it would allow the bike to rest upright without messing with the saddle.

Do you have an opinion on that?

I must say that I got a little infected with the folding virus.
In future a second Tern will join the team, sometime...
Preferably a 24inch wheel model, in this case I would optimise the link for minimal folded size and the 24 inch for my daily use...

I have a Dahon Ciao i7 folder and carry a weeks shopping easily on front and back. It is only occasionally that I feel I'd like to be able to transport more, and have considered getting a 2nd-hand trailer, but simply can't find a suitable storage space for one at present.
I have a Tern luggage truss fitted to the front - to which a Kanga rack slots on and off fast and very securely - and a rear rack on which I fasten a rectangular basket with reusable cable ties. The luggage truss hinders the folding not at all, but the front Kanga rack does. The basket fitted onto the rear rack also hinders the folding. I rarely fold down the handle bars but I need the 'main' fold to be complete and 'closed' in order to fit it into the small space I have available for it, so went for the 'easily removable' options.

OP
OP
A

arnop

Regular
I like the luggage truss, I'll look into that.

For now I just got a rather slim basket for the back, that does not hinder folding at all.

I like the luggage truss, I'll look into that.

For now I just got a rather slim basket for the back, that does not hinder folding at all.

I love the luggage truss - the bike feels very secure, stable and 'planted' when I have a pile of shopping on the front; the rack itself is extremely secure when in place.
I'll be honest, I was a bit doubtful about the cost of the truss and the rack but it was WELL WORTH it. I did debate looking for a 'slimline' rear basket but decided that a bog-standard high-capacity one together with a pack of reusable cable ties and a couple of bungees would serve my purpose much better, given that I can't magically make any further storage space for a wee trailer.

I’ve fitted my Dahon with a Klickfix-to-Brompton converter. Works well and I can use all the Brompton bags I have - there are some pretty capacious bags and baskets available if you can take Brompton prices, or just get a carrier frame and strap on one of your choice.

Top Bottom