Terry Venables RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Remember him as a larger than life character, perhaps even a likeable wide-boy.
I know next to nothing about the game, which is maybe just as well coming from Reading.

Born in reading, grew up in high Wycombe, uni in Southampton, lived in Bradford. Good job I've no interest in football!🤣🤣🤣

AndyRM

XOXO
Bobby Charlton when manager of Preston, Bobby Moore when manager of Oxford City and Alan Shearer when Newcastle manager spring to mind.

To be fair to Shearer, the omnishambles he walked into at Newcastle was always going to be a disaster. It seemed oddly fitting that they went down due to a deflection off Damien Duff's arse.

That said, if his dull and predictable analysis on MotD is anything to go by I can't imagine him cutting a particularly inspirational figure as a manager.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I met him a couple of times as a kid. My dad had some friends at QPR and Spurs and was on chatting terms with Tel Ven. I can remember being in the players’ lounge at QPR a couple of times and seeing him hold court. I was a bit overawed, but he was definitely someone who could carry a room. As a manager he was probably decades ahead of most of his peers but he wasn’t much of a businessman though!

AndyRM

XOXO
I met him a couple of times as a kid. My dad had some friends at QPR and Spurs and was on chatting terms with Tel Ven. I can remember being in the players’ lounge at QPR a couple of times and seeing him hold court. I was a bit overawed, but he was definitely someone who could carry a room. As a manager he was probably decades ahead of most of his peers but he wasn’t much of a businessman though!

That's very cool!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
That's very cool!

Thanks Andy. When you’re a kid it doesn’t really sink in at the time. I don’t normally chip in on RIP threads but I lost my dad earlier this year and ended up talking old times with a few of his friends about that period of his life.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks Andy. When you’re a kid it doesn’t really sink in at the time. I don’t normally chip in on RIP threads but I lost my dad earlier this year and ended up talking old times with a few of his friends about that period of his life.

My condolences. It's lovely that you've got those memories though.

Top Bottom