TFL Cycle Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Suprised to see the BBC listed (+100 riders)
Shame that their enthusiasm hasn't filtered up to the programme commisioning people

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm the team leader of my work team.
Don't think we're in with a shot though - there are some hardcore people out there.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm running a team for one of the other cycling forums and we won our category last year. We got some activity vouchers, I think it was about £350, that we gave to a London cycling charity so they could auction them or offer them as a prize in a fund raiser. The competition is usually pretty tough.

I'm sure it was for diplomatic reasons that you didn't mention which forum but I can't see why the two forums can't regard each other as cooperators rather then as competitors. As the group you're now running managed to win a prize for Wheels for Wellbeing last year any extra mileage contributed would help secure the prize for the 2nd year running.

Of course there may be deep-seated reasons for a split between the two forums but surely in this case it would simply be a case of cooperating for charity's sake. I can't see any harm in that.

From what I remember, the TfL rules say the challenge is open to cyclists who live, work or study in London - but of course that doesn't exclude miles cycled outside London.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm sure it was for diplomatic reasons that you didn't mention which forum but I can't see why the two forums can't regard each other as cooperators rather then as competitors. As the group you're now running managed to win a prize for Wheels for Wellbeing last year any extra mileage contributed would help secure the prize for the 2nd year running.

Of course there may be deep-seated reasons for a split between the two forums but surely in this case it would simply be a case of cooperating for charity's sake. I can't see any harm in that.

From what I remember, the TfL rules say the challenge is open to cyclists who live, work or study in London - but of course that doesn't exclude miles cycled outside London.

I suggested the exact same thing- a united team- but it got shot down over there. We could win the whole thing with enough members...!

manalog

Über Member
I suggested the exact same thing- a united team- but it got shot down over there. We could win the whole thing with enough members...!

Count me in I do 24 miles per day during the week plus 40 miles at the weekend. What is the name of the Group, I can't see Gaz's name in any of the Groups on the TFL website.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I've got a terrible memory from drinking too much milk of amnesia but I think I also put the case for a united team. Mind, it must have been a good while ago for me to have so comprehensively forgotten which thread that was on. Still, never mind, with a bit of cooperation we could have won the first prize outright, the team's actively looking for more people to clock up the miles, and as the prize is bound to go to summat bike-related, there's all the more reason to work together. But there's still a very good chance of winning some kind of prize anyway.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, i'm not involved with the "other forum" (why are people being coy? a quick google shows the team is Silly Commuter Racers from bike radar)so, does anyone here want to join a team?

Let's do this thing!

https://cyclechallen...ov.uk/team/1300

If you are interested, please join. If we get a quorum, I'll advertise it on a few other forums here.

I just hit a problem - I couldn't find an honest way of joining the CycleChat team because I'm already in the Silly Commuter Racers one. I haven't seen anything about 1 team and 1 team only in the terms and conditions but once you're registered you simply don't get the option to join a second team.

Of course, I could always register with TfL as someone else but that feels a bit too cheaty for me - it would falsify the total number of miles cycled.

(Didn't mention the BR team name before because a few people here seem to have cycled away from that forum. I don't know their personal reasons or the history behind it. Not everyone is a forum bigamist like me...)

Asprilla

The SCR team isn't actually restricted to BR readers, and there are a lot of team members who have joined after seeing it advertised on the SCR facebook page and the twitter feeds from itsnotarace.org. We are an inclusive church and everyone who requests membership is accepted automatically.

I didn't mention which team it was before because I didn't want anyone to accuse me of poaching when they were trying to get their own team together.

Thanks guys,

A couple of hours after posting this I found there was a team at work. I signed up with that and felt guilty: I agree with marm... it feels like cheating.

So I resign from the non-existing cyclechat team and work to.help my employer beat scr.

:-)

Top Bottom