Thanking Considerate Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Tynan said:
'then that should be the norm shouldn't it, so no need to thank them'

unless you think that positive re-enforcement is a good idea

Exactly! I tend to thank people with a wave and thumbs up. Mind, if someone overtakes too close, they'll get a toot on the airzound and a push out wider signal. I love how that makes the following drivers either wait or go super wide.

Plax

Guru
goo_mason said:
A smile, nod and a hand up, with the occasional 'cheers' during the summer if their windows are down and they might be able to hear me.

On the paths, when dog walkers stop and control their dogs until I'm safely past, I say thanks and smile. I'm now on chatting terms with some of the regular dog walkers I see - the two old blokes with Border Collies are amazing. They give the dogs a signal and they lie down at the side of the path; obviously of good sheepdog stock !

Oooh, I was wondering the other day actually if anyone else has a rappore with dog walkers. There are a couple on my route I see most days (and judging by where they are on the path I have an idea of how early/late I am!). I always slow down, smile and say thanks. I've started exchanging one liners about the weather with one guy. Not as impressive has your border collies though, he has a little yorkie who he when he kind of pats his leg will stand on his hind legs, with his front paws resting on his leg giving him the opportunity to hold on to his collar as I go past:smile:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I have always proffered the thumbs up after my signalling direction to cars that pull back to let me into lane.
Waves and hearty nods for everything else.
Since the arrival of the KMX in my life, motorists are now inclined to give me room, even winding down windows to have a pleasant verbal exchange about the trike and my riding rather than force me into car doors etc.

T x

Not considerate on tonight's 830pm commute from Waterloo tonight.

The Mile End Road is like a race track...on one particular move to access the Bow flyover I had to abort this as suddenly a boy racer come from nowhere doing between 50 and 70mph.Real lack of cops although I saw a cop van at Stratford who had nicked some motorist.One driver pulling out in Leyton with a phone glued to his ear.Another motorist coming right (as I was trying to do a right turn) at me again in Leyton then I realise he's got a mobile phone in his right ear held with his left hand.Looks like the silly season has started.

Generally it's either two fingers or a friendly wave.

God help me on my last four commutes this year.

i tend to sit a little more upright on my steed and gently but purposely wave my hand in the style of the queen waving to her subjects while stood on the balcony of buck house!

longers

Legendary Member
I like to acknowledge peoples care and consideration on and off the bike. Whether these things be common practice, common decency, to be expected, the norm or otherwise. A thankyou is free and goes a long way.

spindrift

In Leyton and Hackney you see some very rum driving, especially at night. One in ten cars uninsured, remember. I hold a hand up to considerate drivers and then put a thumb up to make it clear.

col

Legendary Member
I always give a wave and then thumbs up,sometimes the other way round,but its clear enough that way,normally get it back too.

spindrift

normally get it back too.

That's the thing. Pay it back. Plus, it humanises us, a WVM was up my arse at the lights, revving, then the road swung up and right, narrow. It wasn't safe to overtake and he didn't, I turned and waved and he acknowledged so he knew I was grateful.

PBancroft

Usually just raise my hand, unless I am sure I have made eye contact, in which case a smile and nod.

On paths, I'll do the same as goo - say thanks.

Top Bottom