The 1 Times (Single Chainset)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I like the 1x11 more than I thought I would. The gaps between the gears are bigger than are on my other bikes but I like not having to think about which chainring to select.

I don't worry about not having a higher top gear, but I would like one extra lower gear. The bottom gear is 42/42, which is pretty low, but I come across some hills at 20+% in Devon and a 42/46 would be easier! I might investigate the possibility of fitting an 11-46 cassette if/when I wear out the 11-42 cassette. (There is a possibility that the current cassette will outlast me though, given that I will be 68 soon and only ride the bike down there for 4 or 5 weeks of the year!)

I suppose one aspect of it may be psychological. In my head I always feel like I am working a lot harder spinning in the smaller front rings as opposed to less revolutions in a bigger front ring. That may be just me though🙂

My biggest learning from this post is that there are e-bikes that aren’t 1x!

If you go mid motor you are usually restricted to 1X. With hub motors you can use multiple chain rings

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
If you go mid motor you are usually restricted to 1X. With hub motors you can use multiple chain rings

Yes, it is a bit of a conundrum. The pros and cons as I see it.

Mid motor, more even weight distribution, easier to swop wheels should you need to , no front mech.

Rear wheel motor, the choice to have multiple and bigger chain rings but you are basically (without a load of faffing) tied to that rear wheel.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
To be honest, I've been riding X1 since well before X1 was a thing.
My first decent (531) bike had a 40T chainset to a 13-34T 6 speed block IIRC, (83" - 32") and I've been going lower ever since. That was in 1986.
Currently on 36T and 11-36T 9 speed (88" - 27"). Not that I ever use the 11T sprocket, so it's actually 75" - 27"
Front mechs are such a PITA to set up properly...

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
To be honest, I've been riding X1 since well before X1 was a thing.
My first decent (531) bike had a 40T chainset to a 13-34T 6 speed block IIRC, (83" - 32") and I've been going lower ever since. That was in 1986.
Currently on 36T and 11-36T 9 speed (88" - 27"). Not that I ever use the 11T sprocket, so it's actually 75" - 27"
Front mechs are such a PITA to set up properly...

I suppose a lot depends on personal circumstances. The gearing you are running would be massively under geared for a lot of riders, myself included at the point in life I am now at.

But I do realise a few more years down the line I am going to find it harder and harder to churn the 52 I currently run as my biggest ring. Luckily the set up on that bike is cheap and cheerful Sora so swapping it out for a less aggressive crank set in the future wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I suppose a lot depends on personal circumstances. The gearing you are running would be massively under geared for a lot of riders, myself included at the point in life I am now at.

But I do realise a few more years down the line I am going to find it harder and harder to churn the 52 I currently run as my biggest ring. Luckily the set up on that bike is cheap and cheerful Sora so swapping it out for a less aggressive crank set in the future wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

I'm quite a spinny rider - I can get a 75"gear up to about 30mph if I've got a big hill or a tailwind to help. And if I didn't mind my hips unscrewing themselves...

Top Bottom