The Allergy thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought about putting this in the “things that irritate” thread but IMO it needs its own. I may end up getting flamed.

Nowadays, everywhere you go, there is a new awareness of allergies. “Ask us about allergens in the food”, “sorry, no nuts on this flight” etc. etc.

I have absolutely no problem with this. I understand anaphylaxis and it’s potentially fatal outcome.

Why, then, can’t I seem to go to a pub/restaurant which has a “pet free” area for:

1. Non dog-lovers
2. People, like me, who are allergic to said pets

Blooming animals are everywhere. Shops, cafés, you name it. We’re currently in an Airbnb which I chose because of its “no pets” specification. In the visitor’s book? “Thank you for letting us bring our dog”…

Is it me?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I get you. I'm a dog lover but I don't think they should be everywhere. Most I've seen are well behaved, but it's a bit like smoking in the old days; not everyone wants to be around it. We took my partner's dog in a dog friendly cafe once, and he wouldn't settle and whinged the whole time. We left in a hurry because it was embarrassing, especially as the little git is so obedient and quiet at home!

Maybe a dog/no dog segregation is required

There's a lot of places that don't allow dogs, children, etc. Probably as many as allow them. Whatever your allergy can't you find somewhere that suits your needs too?

Having said that a dog allowed area and non dog area is common sense. That used to be applied to children and indeed women in the past.

As to reporting allergens a common use of signage saying dogs are allowed, their owners tolerated is usually a good indication of pet allergens being present. Or more seriously there's often signs or stickers on the doors to this effect

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If we're just talking about allergens then I'm afraid the owners of said shop/cafe can admit who they please. They'd prefer to exclude you and potentially get business from 5 families with dogs. Sad but true. I personally don't think dogs should be in shops and eateries. For a number of reasons:

Humans generally don't lick their behinds and then lick other things, so there is a potential hygeine issue.
Humans generally wear clothes so their feet/anus and other bits are not able to brush against anything else directly.
Most humans are familiar with the etiquette and rules within a public place.
Some people are very poor dog owners, and allowing one means you've got to allow all.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Calmac ferries have designated dog areas and I have seen those who ignore the signs being redirected politely but firmly.
I once saw a woman who put her small dog on the table in the cafeteria and who got very stroppy when told to remove it.
" I will report you to your managing director" she said. As it happens I was friendly with the Operations Manager and gave the staff member my business card in case she wanted backup.

OP
OP
mistyoptic

mistyoptic

Vintage
There's a lot of places that don't allow dogs, children, etc. Probably as many as allow them. Whatever your allergy can't you find somewhere that suits your needs too?

Having said that a dog allowed area and non dog area is common sense. That used to be applied to children and indeed women in the past.

As to reporting allergens a common use of signage saying dogs are allowed, their owners tolerated is usually a good indication of pet allergens being present. Or more seriously there's often signs or stickers on the doors to this effect
Indeed. You will see from my OP that I checked for a “no pets” specification before booking our accommodation. Booking somewhere to eat on-line doesn’t always offer this information. Of course, one could telephone in advance.

I don’t want to come over as precious and whiny about this. It’s not life-threatening. Having said that, I had to leave one pub/restaurant early, as I was finding it difficult to breathe, and stand in the car park waiting for the rest of the party to finish and pay.

I was more interested to seek the views of a wider group. Thank you for your thoughtful responses

figbat

Slippery scientist
I am sympathetic to your plight - my daughter has a mild dog allergy that appears to be breed and even gender specific and we still haven't worked out what the triggers are, but it means that sometimes she reacts inexplicably in a place that might have previously hosted a trigger dog.

Thinking purely mathematically, from a business POV, I wonder what the numbers look like? How many target clients are dog-owners vs those with allergies? Which is the better client pool in terms of revenue? Regardless of this though, it still makes sense to offer a statement of dog friendliness so that the revenue input streams can decide where to put their money.

Indeed. You will see from my OP that I checked for a “no pets” specification before booking our accommodation. Booking somewhere to eat on-line doesn’t always offer this information. Of course, one could telephone in advance.

I don’t want to come over as precious and whiny about this. It’s not life-threatening. Having said that, I had to leave one pub/restaurant early, as I was finding it difficult to breathe, and stand in the car park waiting for the rest of the party to finish and pay.

I was more interested to seek the views of a wider group. Thank you for your thoughtful responses
I must admit I've had to resort to an inhaler due to dust and another time due to excessive cosmetics/perfume/scent. I can't affect that but I have to cope or adjust my behaviour as necessary.

i like your attitude. It seems to be you accept others and accept your own issues but you find a way to live with things that cause you issues due to allergens. With food allergens you'd probably have a discussion with the waiting staff or chef. Calling the cafe, pub, restaurant or accommodation about dog policy is akin to that.

You'd not assume all food allergens to be removed from an eating establishment because of the few with food allergies but it seems dog allergies is OK to do that.

As far as disgusting habits goes, oh boy don't get me started on what parents of young children let their kids do or indeed do themselves. Ever seen a parent change a nappy then eat a bread roll without leaving their seat?! Well I have a couple of times. Dogs do link their bits but the huge majority of owners do not let them on seats, tables or let food or cutlery near their butts or room tongues. If you see that I hope, like me, you say something. No excuse for unhygienic behaviour from parents or dog owners.

We've never had an issue with dogs, my partner has pet allergies but it's managed. Cat allergies were the worst but she owned one for most of her years in South America, poisoned by a neighbour which was rough. Our dog caused a bit of a reaction to both of us but tbh that was due to our first time dog owner hyper cleanliness routine, at first. In my case the biggest reaction was soap related. Now my partner only gets a reaction when her hand inadvertently touches her face after dog contact. Not as unhygienic as you'd think when you look at research that found there's more fecal matter on your toothbrush than in the saliva of a dogs tongue. Can't find the source of use now but it was something I read years ago. Along with a university that set up a typical bathroom in the department and got a bunch of students to use it like their own at home. Then they collected and tested samples all over it after a month. Let's just say the cupboard door doesn't stop it reaching your toothbrush!

One thing I learnt about dog saliva, it helps cuts on your hands heal quicker. Not kidding. As a deep voiced male I couldn't yelp like a dog when our puppy was teething. As a result it looked like my hands were used as pin cushions. The pup bit and licked me, I washed and washed. The wounds took ages to heal. I then stopped washing after every biting and licking session. My hands healed a lot quicker. I later read that dogs saliva has a degree of antibacterial effects and indeed aids healing. It now makes sense why dogs and I suppose cats lick wounds.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am NOT a doggie person for numerous reasons.
We were walking on the Wirral, it was raining and we called in at a 'country pub planning on a late lunch.
It seemed full of wet dogs and it stunk of wet dog.........we left.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Assistance dogs should be allowed anywhere, I've no quibble with that. But they've been properly trained.

I guess the same thing happened with smoking in pubs; the majority wanted to do it so the minority had to put up with it.

Top Bottom