The annoying English way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If people merged in turn it would be fine but unless there is a sign telling people to do it they don't .... running to the front to beat the queuing traffic and 'pushing in' just winds people up.

Filter and zip. Life's too short and normally you can slip in without even causing anyone to brake or slow and if you can't I just stop and wait for someone to let me in rather than forcing my way in. Occasionally it's naughty but you can usually see the circumstances of when it is and so don't do it.

I remember once on some long term roadworks there were even filter and zip signs. Everyone ignored them.

Of course anyone in a business saloon with a suit hanging on the back hook should not be allowed to filter in any circumstances :whistle:

Night Train

Maker of Things
In the Channel Islands IIRC it is a requirement to filter in turn at the obstruction or road narrowing and at junctions.

A few years ago I noticed on some road works, in West Yorkshire, there were signs saying 'Use Both Lanes' and 'Merge In Turn'.
It took me a while to work out what the second sign meant as I didn't see any turns as the road was straight.:blush:

Mr Celine

Discordian
A few years ago I noticed on some road works, in West Yorkshire, there were signs saying 'Use Both Lanes' and 'Merge In Turn'.
It took me a while to work out what the second sign meant as I didn't see any turns as the road was straight.:blush:

And no one every complies with the 'Use both lanes' sign, they always use one or the other. ;)

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
[QUOTE 1373523"]
So what are you supposed to do? Risk the wrath of those who stopped thinking about driving once the examiner had handed them the piece of paper, or collude with the territorial sheep and double the length of traffic jams all over the country?
[/quote]

Ride a motorbike and filter past all of them. That's what I do anyway! Drivers seem to get enraged by the prospect of being queue-jumped by a car, but they hardly ever react at all when you do the exact same thing on a motorbike.

Bayerd

Über Member
Always do the zip thing. Queuing up early just causes problems further back. I love it when I see cars patiently queuing with a few hundred yards to go, I just cruise down the empty lane and filter as indicated.

thomas

the tank engine
You need to use your brain when driving to safely progress in traffic. Taking the outside lane there too early is silly - motoring costs enough...so actually make full use of the roads available. :tongue:

When I used to drive to sixth form there was a bit. Inside lane was for left and straight over. Right hand lane was for turning around the roundabout.

The inside lane always had tonnes of congestion (mainly from people going straight ahead). I'd just use the right hand lane, go fully around the roundabout and take what would have been the left turn (onto a road that was empty). Little point waiting in line with everyone who is going straight over.

Top Bottom