The Bins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never understood plastic bag recycling, those with a 4 on them are fine with carrier bags in supermarket collection bins but what of the rest?

It's pretty well much "read the label" really as it's not entirely straightforward... Become second nature here to check every bit of packaging before consigning to the right box. :blush:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
On Shetland they used plastic bags when I was there last and nearly all were covered by a bit of fishing net with weights attached to stop them blowing away. Did not do much to deter gulls but at least it kept the rubbish more or less contained tho' some people had wooden boxes which combined with nets kept the gulls off.

There was a suggestion to move to wheelie bins in Shetland a few years ago but I think it was scrapped because the bins were likely to blow away. They'd probably have to keep fishing them out of the sea!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It's pretty well much "read the label" really as it's not entirely straightforward... Become second nature here to check every bit of packaging before consigning to the right box. :blush:

Annoyingly all recycling differs by county so what you can recycle is different to what we can. I think that's the biggest reason that people find it so confusing and just don't bother.

alicat

Legendary Member
We have three wheelie bins plus a bag. I share two of my bins with a neighbour, which I'm glad about because there's scant room in the alley way at the back.

Boys and girls you have it good. Here no bins but we have over 30 different categories at the local recycling centre where you have to take it all. None recycled wasted is taxed at £2 per 35ltr bag so it’s a good incentive :laugh:

stephec

Legendary Member
Salford Council -

Blue wheelie bin for paper and cardboard
Pink bin for garden and kitchen waste
Brown bin for glass and plastic, although they don't want margarine tubs, I don't know why, maybe they're not 24 carat plastic?
Black bin for everything else

Pink is emptied every week, blue and brown fortnightly on alternate weeks, and black every three weeks.

Top Bottom