The cost of living

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LLB said:
You can get a house for £50k - or even get a Bank who has got £50k to lend in the first place ???

The Land Registry statistics exclude the figure for repossessions. Ex council houses round here are selling at £40-45,000. And don't believe the rubbish you read about mortgage lenders not having money. Close examination of one newspaper horror story about lenders making excuses not to lend revealed that they had simply gone back to the old policy of not lending to those with a bad credit history.

Plax said:
Talking of electricity - beware the meter reader man. Just had a visit and not only has he increased the prices, but apparently since the prices increased in September and they've not had a chance to reset everyones meter in a timely fashion so guess what - they have also increased the standing charge from £1.40 per week to £4.20 per week!!!!!!!!!! In an attempt to recoup the money from the increased prices. I've just phoned them and apparently it's to pay off any "debt" on my account. I suspected as much and shall make sure somebody comes and resets it back in a timely fashion and not 12 months down the line. To be fair they do refund you eventually (after they've made some tidy interest on everyone elses money no doubt), they'll send me a cheque.
It has made me re-think my energy supplier, uSwitch still has them out as one of the cheapest though, so I've got them to phone me back in January to send an engineer out to change my meter back to a normal one. It'll be slightly cheaper for me to manage my account online and pay by direct debit rather than have a pre-payment meter (which funnily enough I had put in to help me budget when I first bought the house!).

The older PP lecky meters have to be reset manually.The card meters can be reset via messages sent to the Paypoint outlets.
Because the tariff on your account doesn't match the tariff on the meter, the debt builds up and causes masses of back office clerical work.
The situation is getting better as the older meters are replaced, but in the past, companies have written off millions as a result of the problem.

Top Bottom