The Cycle Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Caught the back end of an episode of this over the weekend. Was pleasantly surprised to see how much it had improved over the last series. It actually looked (for the most part) professionally put together rather than the amateurish attempts of the 1st season. Was this episode indicative of the quality of the rest of the series so far or was I just lucky?!?!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I thought the best one was the womens one it actually looked like a proper tv programme instead of just a hotch potch of articles thrown together like it normally does.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Caught the back end of an episode of this over the weekend. Was pleasantly surprised to see how much it had improved over the last series. It actually looked (for the most part) professionally put together rather than the amateurish attempts of the 1st season. Was this episode indicative of the quality of the rest of the series so far or was I just lucky?!?!
Unfortunately, it's the back end of the series - there's only one left. But, yes, it has really improved and has had some good guests. It's gone from being a mish-mash of bike-as-fashion ideas to a programme.

You can catch up on the last 5 shows here - https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-cycle-show

Leodis

Veteran
I missed the first series but have watched all of this series. Its pretty good, I liked the part on doping last night and I enjoy the Pro rides section.

I agree the womens show was the best so far.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought the best one was the womens one it actually looked like a proper tv programme instead of just a hotch potch of articles thrown together like it normally does.
I hadn't seen your post but I think we've both got the same impression. I almost wrote mêlée, settled for mish-mash ,while you went for hotch potch. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The run time is far too long for the type of show it is. Can cut it easy.
And at least they don't use that blonde woman presenter (I use presenter in the loosest tense) as much as the first series.

sheddy

Legendary Member
It's a start, but imo there is too much lycra. I imagine that joe or joanne average looking to get back on a bike would switch off within a few minutes. Still its better than nothing.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Its better than the last series, but its still rubbish, I watched it this morning, that dreadful girl is not on it very much which is good. I suppose it must be quite difficult making cycling interesting for TV

Rather too earnest in tone.

In terms of format, Numbnuts has it exactly. It neeeds to be more Top Gear. To add to his point, it is too like the 'old' Top Gear, with Sue Barker (sp?) and Beardie Bloke (sp?) being earnest about attractive little French saloon cars with surprisingly large boots for their wheelbase.

Ultimately, I think that cycling as a hobby/sport is so diverse and somehow so completely the opposite of anything that translates well to broadcast media that the show will only ever be a sideshow and an historic point of reference: "Look what happened when they tried that on the telly".

The highest it can realistically aspire to in terms of quality is Curate's Egg Status - and at present it falls short even of that.

My three children and I all ride and my wife is an occasional rider and frequent amused observer. None of us finds the show at all engaging.

I think it might hit the mark with that breed of Twenty-five-to-Thirty-five, New-to-Bikes, High-Disposable-Income, I'm-Really-Loving-my-Newest-Hobby, My-Wheels-weigh-840-grammes, Who-is-Miguel-Indurain, Look-at-my-Carbon Cyclist... But that is a limited cross-section.

Maybe attractive to advertisers... but in a limited way.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
You mean we need a "Cycling Stig". An ex cyclist who belts around a track on bikes the vast majority of us will never be able to afford!!!^_^

I suppose the end of the program is an attempt to do that - unfortunately that competition just looks amateurish and is really all about who has the fastest cadence rather than who is actually the fastest!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'm finding it becoming the TV equivalent of CyclingPlus - getting further and further away from your everyday cyclists and getting more 'pro'. Perhaps there's a hint in the fact that there's always a blatantly-obvious copy of said mag in shot - product placement at it's non-subtle best.

Top Bottom