The day I rode back from the T.O.B..final stage..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
i can't get the pic to load, but shaft drive: yes, it's been done before, pretty much like every other 'innovation' in cycling. I've ridden a Zero, and it's ok, but it'll never be as efficient as a chain, which is something like 99.9% efficient anyway (dunno the figure off hand, but it's high). Shafts and rubber bands work better (so I'm told, and by Mike Burrows, who should know) on higher speed, lower torque applications, like motorbikes, or machinery. On a pedal bike, a chain really is best, although if you're not bothered about a small loss in effciency, but want low maintenance and no oiliness, a shaft will work. For the average pootling leisure or commuting cyclist (of the sort I'm seeing here in France, or that you see in Holland or Denmark or wherever), it's probably fine.

Shaft drives were first applied to bikes in the 1890's and have been tried several times since.

We've had a Zero shaft drive bike for 4 or 5 years and it works fine - it takes a while for them to bed in but you just forget it's not a chain drive after a while.

It's a great commuter bike, you'll probably never wear the drive system out and the bike remains remarkably clean.

And to be honest, you really don't notice the slight drop in efficiency - most people lose more through under inflated tyres.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I like the sound of those. *

Low maintenance, no oily messiness, looks sleek and low maintenance. :tongue:

Can I get one in the same colours as Caisse D'Epargne? That's yellow and reddy sort of blended together.

* The crank, crank, noise might come from the rider, Fnaar, or even my knees.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
And to be honest, you really don't notice the slight drop in efficiency - most people lose more through under inflated tyres.

Yes, I'm sure it's only the more hardcore sort who'd really notice. The sort of person who knows what their gear ratios are, and which sort of shimano kit they have or whether they have shimano at all. (IE, not me!:tongue: but TheDoctor has just told what I have from memory...)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
That includes me. :biggrin:

I know that one of my bikes has three gears, the other one has either five or ten. It also has ginormous wheels, two per bike I think.

Before anyone else says it, yes there is a nut loose behind the handlebars.:tongue:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
On a slightly more serious note, thank you Yenrod for bringing that style of bike to my attention. And the prices on the Link to Zero bikes, looks excellent. I may well be looking at that more closely. Efficiciency is not uppermost in my mind, getting exercise in the fresh air, and building up my stamina and saving petrol is more important.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Arch said:
i can't get the pic to load, but shaft drive: yes, it's been done before, pretty much like every other 'innovation' in cycling. I've ridden a Zero, and it's ok, but it'll never be as efficient as a chain, which is something like 99.9% efficient anyway (dunno the figure off hand, but it's high). Shafts and rubber bands work better (so I'm told, and by Mike Burrows, who should know) on higher speed, lower torque applications, like motorbikes, or machinery. On a pedal bike, a chain really is best, although if you're not bothered about a small loss in effciency, but want low maintenance and no oiliness, a shaft will work. For the average pootling leisure or commuting cyclist (of the sort I'm seeing here in France, or that you see in Holland or Denmark or wherever), it's probably fine.

The newest generation of toothed belt (I can't think of a better/correct term) are supposed to be as efficient as chains because now they don't stretch plus they don't need oiling and can't slip off. If they catch on the chain has had it except perhaps for racing bikes where they are likely to insist on keeping derailleur gears for weight reasons.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Speicher said:
On a slightly more serious note, thank you Yenrod for bringing that style of bike to my attention. And the prices on the Link to Zero bikes, looks excellent. I may well be looking at that more closely. Efficiciency is not uppermost in my mind, getting exercise in the fresh air, and building up my stamina and saving petrol is more important.

For the prioce they are incredible !

longers

Legendary Member
I saw this one at the Salford Nocturne, I couldn't locate the owner to ask about it.

2livmfm.jpg

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

That looks quite like the one I seen ! Longs...BUT: whether it's the same bike remains a mystery ???

Its the gold bits that ring the bells for me !

Shaun

Founder
Love it.

Check out the lamp at the front too ... looks candle powered; box of matches in the saddle pack perhaps? ... :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
I think it had a head badge saying "Metropolis" or something like that, can't remember and meant to take a photo of the badge :wacko:

Top Bottom