The Door zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A 23-year-old woman biking along Atlantic Avenue towards Washington Avenue was fatally struck by a bus after hitting the open door of a parked car. The driver of a parked car reportedly threw open her door without looking, sending the biker careening into the path of a B45 bus around 8:30 p.m. last night.
read more

I see so many people each day riding in the door zone and not knowing the dangers they put them selfs in.
RIP.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's terrible.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1182032"]
What's even worse is driver's behind you get pissed when you take up a position to take you away from the door zone and they go mental.

RIP cyclist.
[/quote]

I havent been tooted for it for a long time, but you can still sense the impatience and lack of understanding when you look around and see them right up your a***.

I once nearly got doored around the corner from home a few years back. People park around Spring road so they can pick up their kids from school, but with the contraflow of traffic you're left with a 3 feet gap down your side of the road. I was trundling through that and all of a sudden a door just swung out in front of me, I JUST managed to react in time and twist the handlebars around and angle myself.

I let out a scream Magnatom would be proud of too.:biggrin: Sadly my legs went to jelly and I had to get off and stop.

Then I noticed this big guy had exited the car and was walking towards me. We had a chat and I put my point across, we shook hands and I walked off home. Turned out he was a proper gent and apologised.

upandover

Guru
I came within seconds of taking out a ninja cyclist as I got out of my car on a dual/cw yesterday. 20mph odd, 10pm, very dark, downhill. The scary bit was when I looked at the door on my picaso and wondered if the very point top end part of the door would have properly impaled him had I opened it.

[QUOTE 1182032"]
What's even worse is driver's behind you get pissed when you take up a position to take you away from the door zone and they go mental.

RIP cyclist.
[/quote]

That is one thing I don't like...because when they get impatient they get aggressive then they tend to do something stupid eventually.

Peter10

Then I noticed this big guy had exited the car and was walking towards me. We had a chat and I put my point across, we shook hands and I walked off home. Turned out he was a proper gent and apologised.

I like people like that. You can go away and feel they have genuinely learnt something and would hope the incident would change their behaviour in the future. Everyone is human and education is the best way to fix a lot of issues.

I like people like that. You can go away and feel they have genuinely learnt something and would hope the incident would change their behaviour in the future. Everyone is human and education is the best way to fix a lot of issues.

Trouble is you still have most of the planet to educate.:whistle:

I got told off once by a police officer who took exception to me ''holding up traffic'' on a main road as I wasn't using the cycle lane (that has parking to the left of it)
I assured him that I was using the suicide lane as seemed fit, he was just telling me off for calling it that when an old dear opened her door into him, proving my point.

He let me on my way with a new realisation.

Jezston

Über Member
We have these near me:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=wSndfkFnIVT9DqsGkAZ3mw&cbp=12,255.59,,1,2.97

I've never seen ANYONE do a shoulder check before moving to the right around the parked cars.

Just further down you have a long stretch of this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=8i4WW2s6KA1oSb0mblHkxw&cbp=12,76.56,,0,11.52

Reasonably wide, but well into the door zone, and in the evenings these parking spaces are in constant use.

Although it does keep cars to the right, it need to be a LOT wider and further from the parking spaces to be safe. As the lorry shows, there's enough room for a couple more feet.

Terribly sad! :sad:

Yes I agree with others about cycle lanes in door zones. They are downright dangerous! I've posted this video before which has some prime examples of door zone lanes.

Top Bottom