The E-commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
For commuting chores I strongly recommend a mid drive kit fitted on an analogue bike. Bafang and tsdz2 are both more reliable than the fancy motors of the ready from factory ebikes and also with cheaper parts. Ideally fitted on a steel frame but by no means necessary. Commuting cost on an ebike is just ridiculous, for me it works out to a couple of € per 1000kms. My daily commutes are about the same as yours but on a very hilly area, basically there is not a single stretch of level road, its either up or down and I do use the ebike every single day of the week, weekends included.

This is interesting. I value a good warrenty so I'm unlikely to go down this route.

I am, however, very interested in your take on how they are more "reliable" than the alternatives. I assume you're talking about Shimano and Bosch?

Ananda

This is interesting. I value a good warrenty so I'm unlikely to go down this route.

I am, however, very interested in your take on how they are more "reliable" than the alternatives. I assume you're talking about Shimano and Bosch?

It seems that most of them, (shimano and bosch included) have a fair share of problems. My take on this is that they cant produce enough numbers, business is booming and quality control has gone down the drain. It also seems that yamaha motors are the most reliable and bosch has the best support when there is a problem. At least this is what I have gathered throughout the years I am following the various internet fora.

Apart from quality control, the "need" for light weight might also be a culprit, since it is mainly bearings that give up. All in all, my impression is that most ebikes sold using motors from the big companies are mostly weekend toys and not dependable workhorses. If you are familiar with computer programming terminology, the kits from bafang and tongsheng are far more in the "open source" mentality and I personally value this tremedously.

Ananda

Nothing wrong with a hub motor, although the bottom bracket motors such as the Bosch tend to give a better rendition of 'proper' cycling due to their more sophisticated control systems.

Some riders couldn't give a stuff about that provided the bike helps them up hills, although experienced cyclists tend to prefer the more natural cycling feel of the Bosch and similar motors.

The Ebikemotion motor is light assist, so you need to test one to be satisfied it gives you the amount of assist you are after for the steeper banks.

The bottom bracket motors will give you more grunt, but even they are no balls of fire so will require some effort to get up 10 per cent and steeper climbs.

I am an average cyclist (but fit for my age of 50something) and I find the 250-500w of most mid drive kits more than enough, provided you choose wisely your cassette according to your terrain and chainring. 250w mid drive watts actually feel like a free ride even if they are not.

Drago

Legendary Member
really good question. I ride MTB a lot these days and the trend seems to be that all the decent quality e-bikes have moved to BB mounted motors. Admittedly this is anecdotal and based on the e-mtbers I ride with. Is this different on road bikes?
It can be helpful off road when chucking a bike about due to mass centralisation, and unsprung mass with suspension systems, but on the road that isn't really a consideration.

As far as tarmac goes, there's no law of physics that makes it any better. The real differences are commercial - as the price point rises that's where manufacturers tend to move to, but for hauling you around your commute or to the shops a hub motor is liable to be perfect.

Ananda

As far as tarmac goes, there's no law of physics that makes it any better. The real differences are commercial - as the price point rises that's where manufacturers tend to move to, but for hauling you around your commute or to the shops a hub motor is liable to be perfect.

Well, a motor that runs through a set of gears will always have a torque, speed and range advantage over one that is not. If however neither of these advantages is needed, then the simplicity of the hub motor cannot be beaten.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
But most hub motors also have gears. Those that do, such as the Suntour HESC, have a planetary arrangement, a bit like an old SA hub in reverse, and they don't suffer drive train losses.

Don't believe too much of the tripe that's bandied around about BB or frame mounted motors. Mass centralisation and insprung mass aside, heres no law of physics that makes them inherently superior.

Last edited:

Ananda

But most hub motors also have gears. Those that do, such as the Suntour HESC, have a planetary arrangement, a bit like an old SA hub in reverse, and they don't suffer drive train losses.

View attachment 540528

Don't believe too much of the tripe that's bandied around about BB or frame mounted motors. Mass centralisation and insprung mass aside, heres no law of physics that makes them inherently superior.

By "gears" I meant a "gearbox". Multiple gear selection as opposed to just one. Add to that mass centralisation, unsprung mass etc and I am suddenly reminded of this:

View: https://youtu.be/Qc7HmhrgTuQ

Last edited:
Top Bottom