The Fridays Lockdown Rides: Greenwich to Eynsford Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexB

Veteran
This is a new ride. Starting from the Cutty Sark in Greenwich we'll follow the Waterlink Way to West Wickham before joining fast, but relatively quiet roads to skirt Bromley and Orpington for a gentle run into the historic village of Eynsford. One of the few places in the UK with not one, but two castles. At Eynsford we can either eat in one of the tea rooms or pubs, or we can picnic in the castle grounds. After the break we'll travel along winding country roads into Dartford where we join the riverside path along the River Darent and then the Thames path at Erith for a relaxed and sociable car-free return to our starting point, passing through the historic and industrial landscape abutting the River Thames.
This ride includes some light off-road sections, but these are easily managed on 28c tyres and probably OK on 25c. Approximately 60 miles (100km).
The link to register is up on the website: https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/lock-down-rides
In the meantime, a few images from the route to whet your appetite
IMG_20200809_113244949.jpg

IMG_20200809_114015983.jpg

IMG_20200809_124203179.jpg

IMG_20200809_133500265.jpg

IMG_20200809_135802516.jpg

SGG on a bike

I have fond memories of Eynsford from when I lived down that way (New Ash Green) until the early 90s. My memory has faded a bit, but I'm pretty sure I got a car stuck in the ford there. Lovely place and a nice area to ride.

OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
Sorry. This should be an 8am 9am start. I could move it up a bit if needs be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
I checked the route today. I was wondering how the Thames path along the River Darent would be after all the rain, but it's fine. I also checked a couple of alternate sections, but I think I'll stick with my original route.

OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
We have a space available. If you're interested, please register via the website.
The weather is even starting to look less horrible!

OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
Well, at times it didn't rain quite as hard as at other times. We had to divert to avoid a flooded road. Highlight of the first part of the ride was wringing my socks out into a toilet and putting them back on and having toasty warm and not so wet feet for the first time in hours. The Thames Barrier test was far more spectacular then I expected and the company on the ride was great.

Attachments

• IMG_20201004_175604_617.jpg
    IMG_20201004_175604_617.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201004_175604_615.jpg
    IMG_20201004_175604_615.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, at times it didn't rain quite as hard as at other times. We had to divert to avoid a flooded road. Highlight of the first part of the ride was wringing my socks out into a toilet and putting them back on and having today warm and not so wet get for the first time in hours. The Thames Barrier test was far more spectacular then I expected and the company on the ride was great.
Well done. Hard work in this weather!

Top Bottom