The Great Weston Ride (GWR)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
https://www.greatwestonride.com/

I have heard so many great things about this ride particularly in the sense that it makes a good first group event for new riders.

Unfortunately sullied by a minority of club-hero-idiot-testosterone-fools.

I happened to be out on the Mendips yesterday on an Audax which shared some of the GWR route. It was obvious there were lots of new riders out enjoying themselves. However I witnessed two punishment passes by experienced looking club riders and I saw another yelling at a group riding past Chew Lake. One idiotic fool, close passed me when I was preparing to turn off right. I was in primary position and he clipped my right wrist. Had he hooked my drops he would have brought down half a dozen riders. I gave him my best Queen’s English and the coward tucked his tail in and disappeared. (I was in a red mist so I’m glad for him and me he didn’t come back)

If you were one of the newer riders out for your first time on a ride like this, well done and welcome to cycling. If you saw any of this behaviour it is not typical.

If you are one of the idiots, abusing your experience and fitness, shame on you. YOU DO NOT REPRESENT THE EXCELLENCE OF CYCLING and you do not deserve to be part of the sport.

Top Bottom