[The Guardian] How can you stop your toes from freezing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Er, I can't see a link to the article?

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

A wonderful start by me there; I forgot to link to the article! I'll edit my OP for anyone just coming to the thread...

Garz

Squat Member
I do suffer with hands/feet on winter rides but then again it would be not so bad if I was commuting a small distance. When I read guys are only commuting less than five mile I feel my 'shorter' twenty two mile rides aren't so short.

This has been discussed a few times anyway with most concluding wool socks with either normal shoes or cycling shoes (+overshoes) is the toastiest option.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Loopstitch ski-ing socks inside the (Cheapo Lidl) shoes are fine (for me) down to 5ºC. Much below that, and it's on with the neoprene bootees.

som3blok3

'Put the heating on and use an exercise bike.'

Love that, although would never do it!

Neoprene overshoes work for me, before those it was socks-plastic bag-socks-shoes. That always works for me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Adasta, I went through this eight weeks ago wondering how to stay warm and dry. Some people swear by overshoes, but I got the impession that they cost £25 and last one winter, so I wasn't that keen. Besides, you can't use overshoes for anything else.

My bikes has flat pedals, so a got a pair of these and wear acrylic ski socks underneath.....

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/HIT409/?id=711&utm_source=Google%2Bbase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

Note that the shoes are low-cut like trainers, not like hiking boots. The ensemble is warm as toast, keeps my toes dry, and can be used for everyday walking/hiking. It won't work for road bikes, BTW.

Good luck.

Garz

Squat Member
Yeah that's a fair observation, which also made me chuckle. Highlighting the guys article in contrast it is rediculous he/they must not have many topics to write about.

It is a hard matter solving the cold feet issue because everyone is different, travels different miles on all sorts of terrain; but the wind chill combined with the vents in my road shoes is not the case of man up it's choosing more suitable equipment. The other factor which weighs in heavily is peoples budget.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

Yeah that's a fair observation, which also made me chuckle. Highlighting the guys article in contrast it is rediculous he/they must not have many topics to write about.

I've been reading Guardian Online for a while now and some of their blog posts (across all subjects) are ridiculous. It's like they're trying to tap into a "cool, urban elite" who they consider to be eternally "linked in" to current trends.

That being said, I think the cold foot debate is a relevant one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cold feet = overshoes. BBB Hardwear PU Coated ones - water/snow/ice and wind proof - use all year in varying conditions, now on second winter.

Top Bottom