The hard work begins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
I used to commute 21 miles each way. First 11 on country lanes then 5 on a dual carraigeway and the last 5 into town. Used to take me an hour and 10. It was the best two hours of the day, especially in the morning before it got busy. I did find it tiring to do it every day though, so used to have the occasional Monday or Friday off and go on the bus, which took the same amount of time.

OP
OP
R

Road Fiddler

Despite legs like lead the ride home was easy and i got my best time. This morning i feel good although it was a little colder when i first walked out of the door.

To be honest it has not been hard but then I have been a cyclist for years and have cycled further each day in the past. I an sure if it was the first time on a bike i would be finding much harder.

I get a day off tomorrow to rest up a little so going canoeing.

OP
OP
R

Road Fiddler

At the moment I am aching all over, legs, shoulders and arms the worst but it is a nice sort of ache and its funny as soon as I am on the bike I don’t feel the ache and I am able to ride quite hard, I am still not riding at full tilt though.

I love canoeing and sea kayaking and it is a great way to relax after a tough week.

Ah Bent I wash I had brought a camera with me today the sunrise over Chichester harbour was wonderful. Very photogenic

domtyler

Über Member
Good on y' mate. Try not to push it to much for the first few weeks and even then have more easy days than hard days or you could risk over training syndrome. Make sure you are taking on the extra calories and protein too.

OP
OP
R

Road Fiddler

I have been eating well; I still have all the nutrition info from when I raced and remember exactly what I was eating. I have already lost some weight and have started to tone up a little more. I have not noticed much difference in my CV yet though.

Had an easy time riding so far with no strong winds yet. Had heavy rain on Tuesday morning. It turned out heavier than I expected, not that that was a problem, I have never minded riding in the rain. The problem was getting my kit dry in work, in future anything worse than a drizzle I will wear a waterproof jacket so my cycle top stays relatively dry, I don’t mind the rest of my kit being wet.

I will invest in some better overshoes I am just using Nike neoprene ones at the moment, they are windproof but not much else, they don’t even keep my feet that warm and it aint cold at the moment.

Top Bottom