The importance of being nice to stupid or ignorant cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I've had a quiet word with a few cyclists after i have seen them do some very stupid things. Most of them ignore you, the other's just swear at you.

I 'ignored' someone after they had a go at me for doing something stupid on the road about a year ago.

But by 'ignored' I meant rode away feeling very embarrased and thinking about how much I should pay more attention and won't be doing that again.

(before anyone asks, I rode through a zebra crossing dinging my bell to get people to move out of the way. No idea why, I think I must have been thinking it was a regular crossing and I had a green light)

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've just given up trying. If I pointed out cyclists' errors it would probably take me until lunchtime to get to work. If I included helping motorists, well I'd need a food stop somewhere along the way and a sleeping bag. I must admit that most of the ones I come across aren't "inexperienced" as such, they just don't give a t**s and expect everyone to take care for them so there is an argument for letting them remove themselves from the gene pool. Unfortunately, without getting into a long, socio-demographic discussion, a lot of them may already have offspring that may be sorry they didn't come home. ho hum

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As opposed to filtering up in the gutter? I suppose so!

Can't help thinking that these filter lanes and pretty much all cycle paths aren't really of much help to us though. Waste of time, money, and paint. I'm not that convinced about ASLs either.

Espcially when ASL's are filled with vehicles that aren't meant to be in them a lot of the time.
Do you think your mentality of filter lanes and ASL's is different when you are on your fixie? do you use them differently?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nah, I don't filter much differently on the 'bent or the fixed. I might be a bit more pushy on the fixed in dense traffic, but on the other hand I can fit through tighter gaps straight ahead on the bent.

rosscbrown

I was back cycling in the Edinburgh today (23 miles, not sure how I managed that as I like 1.9 miles from the train station and that's I didn't stop off any where...). Some right idiots on the streets today, myself included I guess.

One cyclist navigating Princes Street via pedestrian crossings - cycled through a red light, stopped across the crossing (but on the road) - waited for the "green man" to turn into a "red man" before cycling forward into a line of traffic crossing onto Prince Street. Was going to catch her up and suggest she try out George Street much more cycle friendly if you are a big scaredy cat like me.

Other end of Princes Street now, outside McDonalds, cyclist coming down on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. Cycling against traffic he then move to the middle of the road to cycle into the fenced off pedestrian crossing area as to avoid the junction with Lothian Road.

Lots and lots and lots of cycling on the pavement. One guy trying to cycle down the Royal Mile at speed. Meanwhile I was having issues walking my bike down because of the volume of people.

Pedicabs drivers - one of them hit me today as I was at a RLJ. Seen a few go through red signals, down one way streets the wrong way and so on. Here's the deal, these cyclists are moving paying customers about, I consider them 'professional drivers' and thus should know better. I wonder what training these 'students cum cycle taxi drivers' get?!

Throw in two road traffic collisions (no cyclists involved) and a drug deal in the Innocent Tunnel and that's my day in Edinburgh.

And the best exchange ever between a cyclist and a bloke in a van in Musselburgh (Musselburgh is totally on my way home from the station, honest!). Cyclist was stopped at RLJ in the ASL box. Has his phone out and is playing about with it. The lights change and he dosen't move off. Van driver behing revs the his motor a little bit (not aggressive, more of a "wake the bl***y H*** up kind of mannor). Cyclist is still playing with the phone. Van driver sticks head out of the window and politely suggests the cyclist move on. Cyclist's reply: "F*** off, I'm trying to send a text mate!"

As for me, I've still not got the hang of this city cycling (only been at it two weeks) so I've being very gung ho about my cycling. With a helmet on and a pair of sun glasses I'm in touchable on the road (talk about risk compensation!). "If in doubt, do it fast" is my new motto (until I get killed!).

Top Bottom