The importance of maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Always used to amaze me as a kid, how horrible other peoples bikes felt, ok, part of it is down to what you are used to but some kids seemed to have horrible rattly slow heaps, some even inverted their drops for some unknown reason !

J4CKO said:
some even inverted their drops for some unknown reason !

Ah, I remember the old inverted drops.

You still see them in traditionally cycle-heavy places (flat cities like Hull for instance) where 20 year old bikes are commonplace, people riding bolt upright with brake levers pointed toward them.

tightwad

I'm sure it's just sloppy journalism but from the details given, as another poster has observed, it appears strange that the failing rear wheel bearings and lack of a brake block would cause the girl to suddenly fall off. The coroner blaming it on poor maintenance, based on the final state of the bike and the witness statement that the bike was unfit, seems to be an easy verdict to make.

Drivers when overtaking a bike should leave as much room as if they were passing a car - remember the Government Information film of the woman riding her bike swerving to miss the grid.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I drove by this on the way home, my colleague passed on foot, it was not pleasant apparently.

Here is the location.
Google Maps
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...7691,-1.300504&spn=0.000838,0.002406&t=h&z=19

The accident happened in the immediate vicinity of the Faringdon road bridge on Copenhagen Drive. Exactly how I don't know, but there is a wide enough cycle path there. It's not visible, but there is a pedestrian zig-zag slope from the lower LH edge of the top of Faringdon Bridge that zig-zags down to a point almost under the bridge. The exit is 90 degrees to the road. The poor child would have come down that slope from school to go home to Gibson Close, whether she rode down the slope and lost control, or pushed her bike down and lost control re-mounting I don't know. What I do know is that a barrier has suddenly emerged by the kerbside preventing anybody from rolling down the slope and heading straight into the road ( I often wondered why there was never a barrier there before TBH).
I'd have guessed the truck driver had absolutely no chance, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Copenhagen drive is a 40 limit and a major route around Abingdon. 30 would be more appropriate IMO.

Top Bottom