The joys of the informal economy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of my friends is always happy to give me lifts to cat shows if I'm not judging - sensible given we live in the same village. She never asks for petrol money, which is usually par-for-course in the Cat Fancy. In return, I ask her if she wants anything whenever I go yellow stickering, as it's no problem wanging some extra bits in my trolley - ergo she gets good deals on meat, fish, fruit & veg.

The same friend keeps chickens, and every often I get a dozen fresh eggs. I make preserves, and every so often, I divert a jar of marmalade, chutney or pickle in her direction. Sometimes it's a loaf of my homemade bread rather than a jar of something.

The eggs-for-bread did us both in good stead last year when bread was hard to get in the shops.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Red wine keeps, so it is as good as currency. When you are invited to a party or round to someone's house, bring the bottle as a gift to the host. If they are teetotal or don't like red wine, they can do the same.
Absolutely! Our veterans on the forum will recall that in the forces a "slab" (case of beer) was used as currency for decades. A slab (or multiples of it, depending on the size of the favour) was the usual accepted payment, whether it was for some car work, help with an unruly garden, or a lift to an airport. If you received beer for doing someone a favour but you didn't like beer, it didn't matter, you could put it in the garage until you needed to pay for a favour and then you used your surplus slab. It was a staple of the armed services economy. Not so much now, I gather, what with cheap slabs of beer (and overseas postings, where it was cheaper) being a rarer thing.

Hicky

Guru
OH’s dad is a trailer fitter so we get lots of random stuff off them. Usually snacks or cleaning products….sometimes ovenware.
We share them with our neighbour(large Asian family). In turn we get food, he used to be a chef….ie great food. We also share garden produce and they’re kids get my kids stuff, bikes etc when mine have grown out of them.
We both have young babies of a similar age so share stuff to keep them entertained. Win win for us both.

steven1988

Veteran
It makes the world go round, I take a friends son to CX races on a saturday, in return he does the other local league on a sunday

Drago

Legendary Member
Proably best to keep fairly Q about these mutual arangements. The HMRC - spit - do have their own list of equivalency for such things, and if they think theres the slightest chance of getting away with it theyll slap you for BIK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom