The long way down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

Yeah, I was kind of thinking "that looks cool" but I wouldn't do it that way. I was thinking what kind of bikes and stuff it would give me an excuse to dream up. Spend loads of time looking at maps and reading books...I'm sure that they could do it a bit easier and with a shedload less fuss.

Pair of chancers who have managed to get a load of money and support to do something that they would have done anyway.

(Wish I'd thought of it).

BTW what happened to that guy who cycled from Australia to the UK a few years ago?

Twenty Inch said:
Pair of chancers who have managed to get a load of money and support to do something that they would have done anyway.

(Wish I'd thought of it).

BTW what happened to that guy who cycled from Australia to the UK a few years ago?

He's probably still searching for financial backing and technical support to make a film about it.

Sadly there is more interest in ENTERTAINMENT when the people are known.

yello

I've just watched it on DVD and must admit to enjoying it. Okay, they did over egg it sometimes but I'm sure their concerns were very real even though the support crew was never very far away.

I'm also VERY surprised they didn't take a little more time to get to know the bikes and how they handled loaded up off road before they actually set off. One day on unloaded bikes was simply not enough. Boorman seemed to have a better idea than McGregor (who particularly seemed to struggle) but they made hard work of it for themselves.

Still, that aside, it was an achievement and good tele too.

Will1985

Über Member
They clearly had a schedule which they needed to stick to, and as anybody who has tried crossing African borders will know, it isn't easy or quick. Send a vehicle ahead to sweeten the border guards and the whole process is a lot smoother.

yello

Woops, just realised this thread is about something I haven't seen! I was referring to 'Wrong Way Round' - the London to New York one.

Something that also struck me, and it sounds true of the Africa trip too, was that there were definitely behind the scenes phone calls being made to smooth the way through border controls etc.

Mr Pig

I think they're great programs and they both come across as thoroughly nice blokes. Ok, so they've got a whole team behind them, but how many other multi-millionaire actors do you think would do it? Even with backup, I still think it would be tough. And dangerous.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've seen it out here and thought the McGreggor guy was OTT in his mannerisms, but both of them came over to me as being very childish in their behavior. The other one even got thrown off the flight to Scotland to start the journey when he 'joked' that he had an explosive in his luggage. They did however have their work cut out riding the bikes over some of the rough and bog type sections during the trip. Interesting but not a great programme!!!!!!!!!!!!

papercorn2000

A great uncle of mine did a motorbike tour of the continent in the 20's (or earlier). Wrote a very interesting book about it. (In Welsh) and then caused huge scandal when he reurned to strictly methodist rural mid-Wales by wearing shorts!

What I dont like is the concept that they are doing something difficult. They are not.

I dont mind someone interesting travelling the world for my entertainment (Like Palin) but this thing is sort of wrapped up and presented as an epic adventure for them - like climbing Everest. That is really why I dont like it.

Also Boorman has a pig ugly face that I really get fed up with looking at for more than 30 seconds.

just jim

They met a round the world cyclist/rower and donated a thousand pounds to his cause. I thought that was generous, and they were obviously impressed with this hardcore cyclist.

Top Bottom