the middle finger...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
... just came out.

I'm going round the roundabout at the end of my road, primary position, pull off into my road (which has a bollard in the middle of it) in primary position and this guy bibs his horn at me!

so the middle finger came out, naturally.

Then the guy pulls up (unknowlingly right outside my flat) so i'm all for a fight now... i pull up next to him and shout through his open window "WHAT THE FECK IS YOUR PROBLEM MATE???"

Then he says all apologetically "Sorry hun, I didn't mean to have a go, it's just i wanted you to realise you were in the middle of the road and I nearly went into the back of you". He was really nice about it too (although totally in the wrong obviously as he shouldn't be that close).

So I said "Sorry mate, I shouldn't gob off, it doesn't help does it? but i came round the island in the middle of right lane, which is where i should be when turning right, and then i came off in the middle of the lane so that idiot drivers [i.e. you!] can't hook a left around me and squeeze me into the kerb"

i really regret losing my rag now coz he seemed quite nice and, although i know i was totally in the right, i think i lost some effect by being angry and i could have had a better discussion with him. [kicking myself that i didn't make him look back at the bollard to reinforce my point that there is not enough room between bollard and kerb for a bike AND a car ... plus he was good looking and obviously quite a nice guy who thought he was doing me a favour (although obviously he wasn't!) and i gobbed off at him :wacko: )

Munkie

easy done though, I'm new to cycling and normally ride a motorbike so my middle finger is quite worn out ! The cyling is chilling me out and now I tend to settle for a Paddington hard stare.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
cyclecraft being the new Kama Sutra??? LOL. Alas, he drove off into the distance never to be seen again :rolleyes:

Duds

i try and maintain the moral high ground at all times.

cool and calm, rather than fingers and shouting.

a 'look' and silence works a treat, and if I end up in 'conversation', I generally quietly suggest that all good booksellers carry the Highway Code, that it is not expensive, and that they might enjoy the read.

it is often enjoyable having a 'disagreement' with people who get louder as you get quieter. they cannot deal with it.

Top Bottom