the new guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazcool

Hi Just thought i would introduce myself , having been out of cycling for over 10 years now my old bike was a TI 1000 mtrax wish i would have kept her now .
two years ago i had a mad fitness plan so i went to halfords and brought a Carrera Vulcan and put it in the garage and did not move until the price of petrol hit £1.20 ltr .
so i have been cycling to work and back now ( 7 mile round trip ) for about 3 months and i am loving it .
my first question is how hard is it to remove the rubbish grip shifts and put on some rapid fires ?

Dazcool

BMR

Hi Dazcool, I have a 21 speed MTB and am doing the same thing I just cant get on with gripshifts and find that ratchet shifters once set up correctly are heaven. I am just back on a bike again after 30 years so your not on your own, I have agreed to take part in the British Heart Foundation 36 mile off road cycle ride Sherwood forrest and Clumber park area on 2nd Nov this year for charity so I am trying to get fit and sorted quickly. Nice to have you on the site.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The main thing you have to watch out for on a Carrera is that they are sometimes fitted with SRAM shifters and Derraliers as opposed to Shimano. SRAM rear derraliers are not compatable with Shimano shifters and vice versa. So if the Vulcan has SRAM gears then you will need to buy SRAM Rapid Fire shifters. If you wanted to fit Shimano then you will need to change the rear Derralier aswell which will mean more expense.

Top Bottom